After spending over an hour on the online chat without a resolution, can someone explain to me how my Optus data usage and data allowance records can be so wrong - and how they can be trusted again?
Data Allowance -
I changed my plan online on 4/3/18 from $40 Sim Only plan with 10GB data plus 2 GB bonus data to $40 Sim Only plan with 15GB data plus 5GB bonus data ie. 20GB total. (As an aside, this has been the subject of a previous post by me; feeling cheated that only a week later Optus was offering double bonus data at the same price ie. 30GB total).
Back to the point. I go into the My Optus app today to find I have 17GB total data allowance. So I get to online chat where the consultant confirms my contract is for only 17GB instead of 20GB. Outcome? He will escalate this to the backoffice team for investigation of what the Sales team offered me, and will get back within 48 hours!
Hey! It was an online offer - done online. How can Optus get that wrong?
Can anyone here offer an explanation? Anyone here have a similar experience?
Data Usage –
My data allowance on my new plan reset at midnight last night, 30/3/18. I have two devices – my normal phone sim, and also a data share sim that remains in my portable wi-fi modem.
Given my expected reset of the data allowance, I purposely powered off my wi-fi modem at 11.50 pm – partly with the intention of ‘testing’ the accuracy of the system.
I go into the My Optus app to find that SINCE the data reset I have used 5MB on my phone sim (seems possible), but almost 1 GB on my data share sim. WRONG! The modem was powered off!
I explain this to the Optus chat consultant. Standard reply from him – “the records correctly show the data the device has used”. WRONG. The modem was powered off at 11:50pm, and has only been powered on again after 2:00pm this afternoon (in order to make this very post). Maybe what has been used is correct, but certainly not WHEN it was used!
How can this be explained? And what’s more, Optus maintain their records are beyond challenge! How does one deal with such a response? Is the telecommunications ombudsman my next avenue? Furthermore, what checks or audit of these systems have been performed, if any? Their records are in error.
Anyone have a similar experience and/ or have advice?
Latest update – 11:20am I just received a sms saying “2GB of data has been removed from your shared data plan. It will take effect from 30/4.” What does this mean? Do they think the issue is resolved? And from 30/4? Does this mean the usage record error won’t be corrected until the following data period? In which case I am at risk of being charged an extra $10/GB if I use that data in this current data period? WTF!
The main question arising from this experience - HOW CAN OPTUS DATA USAGE AND DATA ALLOWANCE RECORDS BE TRUSTED AGAIN?
Ps. Sorry for all the questions guys – but you will no doubt sense my disbelief and frustration here!
Once I downloaded up to 11:59 and got 10GB on the next bill. I decided not to download past 11:20. The new system seems better but I don't trust it. To add insult, the data up to midnight was on the next month's PDF bill, under the 4th. My month starts on the 5th. Don't push the system past 11pm, if you want accuracy.
Haha. I wonder if the official Optus response would be "don't push our system past 11:00pm".
No doubt there will be an 'e & o e' in the fine print of their Terms and Conditions.
Sorry to be so cynical - but warranted from my experience with them.
Hey @ToneG, not good to hear of all the trouble with your services. I'm a billing expert for the forum would be happy to take a look at your account. Shoot me a private message with your account number, full name, DOB and permission to view the data usage. We'll run through it together and see what's going on.
Thanks for your response - but I am afraid I cannot agree with your explanations. That is, not unless you are now advising me my Shared Data SIM has a different reset date to my phone SIM - surely not!
The last day of usage for my phone SIM was 30/3. This is the date advised on the MY Optus app at the time, and I have just checked that date to my last bill - base plan paid in advance to 30/3. The data usage on my phone SIM clearly reset at midnight 30/3 - not 31/3. Correct?
I accept your advice that on 30/3, I used 1.3GB on Netflix between 20:00 and 23:50 - which is the time I turned off the wireless modem. However I do not accept that I used ANY data between 23:50 and 14:00 the next day, 31/3. Nevertheless My Optus app, at 08:00 the next morning, showed I had used 0.906GB SINCE the reset. That is wrong. And as I continue to monitor usage for this new period, it appears to STILL be included in the shared data Usage Details; which is now at 1.023GB. Seems the update within 24-48 hours that you refer to may not allocate usage to the correct period. To my point - the data usage records can't be trusted if this is the case.
I guess the key issue revolves around what will be billed, rather than what has been reported in My Optus. I have yet to see the bill for that period as it is still being generated. But nevertheless I do not understand why there should be any difference between My Optus app usage records and billing data usage records; particularly given that the My Optus app is the tool provided to users by Optus to monitor, and manage, their usage to avoid additional charges.
Please clarify your explnation for me.
Hey @ToneG, I've replied to your PM about this.