cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted

Optus Roaming Pass

New Optus Roaming Pass & other changes to international roaming plan inclusions

Note: Roaming pass has now launched. 

Our new Optus Roaming Pass will replace the Optus Travel Pack and Optus Travel Data Pack on 2 March 2020. We are increasing the international data roaming allowance to 1GB per pass, removing 8 eligible travel destinations and adding 12 new destinations.

From 15 March 2020 there will also be changes to Zone 1 eligible travel destinations for customers with mobile or mobile broadband plans that include international roaming.

These changes affect customers that have one or many mobile or mobile broadband plans that are eligible for an Optus Travel Pack, Optus Travel Data Pack or otherwise have international roaming inclusions within their plan.

What does this mean for you? 

If your services are eligible for Optus Travel Packs or Optus Travel Data Packs, then these will be replaced by the Optus Roaming Pass as outlined in the tables below.

If you have international roaming as a plan inclusion, then the only impact to your service is the changes to Zone 1 travel destinations, as outlined below:

10 x Optus Travel Packs per billing period

Optus Travel Pack

New Optus Roaming Pass

Plan Inclusions

Up to 10 per billing period

Data

100MB / day*

1GB / pass**

Standard talk & SMS^

Unlimited

$10 Optus Travel Pack or Optus Travel Data Pack

Optus Travel Pack/ Travel Data Pack

New Optus Roaming Pass

Price

$10 per pack/pass

Data

100MB/day*
(Travel Pack)

200MB/day*
(Data Pack)

1GB/pass**

Standard talk & SMS^

Unlimited

^For Mobile Broadband, Optus Travel Data Packs are data only and Optus Roaming Passes are data and SMS only.

* You currently need to activate each Optus Travel Pack or Travel Data Pack via My Optus app, My Account or by contacting us, before you travel.

** You only need to opt-in once for the Optus Roaming Pass via My Optus app, My Account or by contacting us. Optus Roaming Pass can be active for 24 hours or until 1GB of data is used, whichever comes first. When your pass expires, another pass will automatically start if you continue to roam in an eligible destination. You can turn off the Optus Roaming Pass in My Optus app, My Account or by contacting us; after which you will be charged standard roaming rates.

Note: Optus Business customers need to call 13 33 43 to turn Optus Roaming Pass on or off.

Changes to eligible travel destinations

Removed travel destinations

The below destinations will be charged at standard roaming rates.

Afghanistan

Uzbekistan

Brunei

Gibraltar

Mongolia

Laos

Kiribati

Nepal

New travel destinations 

The below destinations will be included in the Optus Roaming Pass and in Zone 1.

Brazil

Kuwait

South Africa

Colombia

Chile

Mexico

Vietnam

Israel

Ecuador

Panama

Argentina

Palestine

Please note, these destinations are subject to change.

What do you need to do? 

Any active Optus Travel Pack or Optus Travel Data Pack you may have will continue to be supported until it expires, after which you will be able to activate the new Optus Roaming Pass via the international roaming settings within My Optus app or My Account (or by calling 13 33 43 if you are an Optus business customer).

For those services with international roaming inclusions, changes to Zone 1 travel destinations will occur on 15 March 2020.

See below for FAQ's

Frequently asked questions 

How do I turn on Optus Roaming Pass?

You can turn Optus Roaming Pass on and off at any time using My Optus app and My Account, via the International Roaming settings (or by calling 13 33 43 if you are an Optus business customer).

How does Optus Roaming Pass work?

Optus Roaming Pass will start automatically once you make or receive a call, send an SMS, or use data (including MMS) in an eligible destination. After 24-hours or once you have used 1GB data (whichever comes first), another pass will automatically start if you continue to make or receive calls, send SMS or use data in an eligible destination unless you turn off Optus Roaming Pass. If another pass starts, you will be charged another $10 and the 24-hour timer is reset.  If you do not use all 1GB of data within 24-hours, the data will expire.

If you choose to turn off Optus Roaming Pass, you will be charged standard international roaming rates based on the destination you are in and significantly higher charges may apply. Check optus.com.au/roamingrates for destinations and rates.

Who is eligible to turn on and use Optus Roaming Pass?

Optus Roaming Pass will be available to eligible postpaid mobile and mobile broadband customers that have an account number starting with a 62, see how to find your account number here.

How much is an Optus Roaming Pass?

$10 per 24 hours or 1GB of data, whichever comes first. Some customers may be charged different rates. Refer to your plan for details.

How much data is included in Optus Roaming Pass?

Each pass includes 1GB of data to use every 24 hours. To help you stay on track of your data, you will receive an SMS (or for data plans, your preferred method of communication) advising when you have used 50%, 85% and 100% of your included data. Please note, there may be delays (up to 48 hours) in receiving these notifications.

What is considered as eligible usage?

The following usage types will start Optus Roaming Pass for mobile:

• Using data
  • Making a call
  • Receiving a call
  • Sending SMS
  • Sending and receiving an MMS (data component, note the MMS charge is excluded and charged as per your plan)
  • Voicemail retrievals and voicemail diversions set to busy, no reply and unreachable may start a pass
  • Calls or SMS to premium numbers (note the charges may appear as per your plan)

For mobile broadband, using data and sending an SMS or MMS will start a pass.

What usage types do not start Optus Roaming Pass?

There are some usage types that aren’t charged and won’t start Optus Roaming Pass. These include but are not limited to the following:

• Calls to Optus Customer Care on +61280825678, +61280822642, +61937
  • Calls to emergency services
  • Receiving SMS
  • Zero-rated/filtered SMS

If you have roaming inclusions in your plan that can be used in an eligible Optus Roaming Pass destination, Optus Roaming Pass charges will only apply once you have used your plan inclusions.  Optus Roaming Pass destinations are listed below.

What usage types are not included?

Usage that is not included, won’t start Optus Roaming Pass and will be charged at standard roaming rates includes, but is not limited to:

• Usage on cruise ships or aeroplanes
  • Calls to satellite number ranges (e.g. +870)
  • Video Telephony calls (excluding apps which use data, like WhatsApp)
  • Calls, SMS and data usage in destinations not covered by Optus Roaming Pass

Usage that may start Optus Roaming Pass and incur additional charges includes, but is not limited to:

• Calls and SMS to premium numbers
  • MMS charges (excluding data), will be charged as per your plan

What if I don’t want to turn on Optus Roaming Pass?

You can turn Optus Roaming Pass on or off in My Account and My Optus app at any time (or by calling 13 33 43 if you are an Optus business customer). You will receive a notification once your request is completed. If you are roaming overseas, once Optus Roaming Pass is turned off you will be charged standard international roaming rates. Charges may vary.

If you have selected standard roaming rates while you have an active Optus Roaming Pass, and continue to roam in eligible destinations, you may be charged for additional passes as it takes time to process your request.

Do I need to switch off Optus Roaming Pass when I return home?

No. International roaming and Optus Roaming Pass can be left on whilst in Australia. The only time you will be charged for roaming is while traveling overseas.

What if I have roaming inclusions in my plan?

If you have roaming inclusions in your plan that can be used in an eligible Optus Roaming Pass destination, Optus Roaming Pass charges will only apply once you have used your plan inclusions and if you have Optus Roaming Pass turned on.  Optus Roaming Pass eligible destinations are subject to change. Check our list of eligible destinations before you travel.

If you’ve turned off Optus Roaming Pass or you’re in a destination not eligible for Optus Roaming Pass, standard roaming rates will apply for excess usage. Charges may vary.

What if my plan includes up to 10 Optus Travel Packs?

Any included Optus Travel Packs will be replaced with Optus Roaming Passes. If you have an active Optus Travel Pack, this will be supported. You’ll be able to use Optus Roaming Pass once your Optus Travel Pack expires. You will need to turn Optus Roaming Pass on before you can use it.

Where can I use Optus Roaming Pass (eligible destinations)?

Please see below table for Optus Roaming Pass eligible destinations. Please note these destinations are subject to change:

Roaming pass destinations.png

Are there any destinations that were included in Optus Travel Packs that are not available with Optus Roaming Pass?

Afghanistan, Brunei, Gibraltar, Kiribati, Laos, Mongolia, Nepal and Uzbekistan are not eligible for Optus Roaming Pass. These destinations will now be charged at standard roaming rates.

All other destinations outside of those listed in the above table will also be charged at standard roaming rates. Destinations available with Optus Roaming Pass are subject to change and you should always check the Optus website before travelling for current destinations and rates.