cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor stevej02
New Contributor

Optus Leasing Plan - Cost of Cracked Screen

I've got a couple of cracks running across the screen of my Iphone X which is on a leasing plan (due to finish in a few weeks time).

If I had the phone back to Optus in this state, does anyone know the likely cost they will charge for the damaged screen? Will it be the maximum $450 amount allowed under the contract or less?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus Leasing Plan - Cost of Cracked Screen

Hi

Apple place the cost of a news screen at $450 so I'd be expecting the costs to be closer $450 than $250 if it is just the glass. After spending that and still having to give the phone back you might be better off just taking the buy your own phone option and then (optionally) fixing the glass yourself at a cheaper place.

If you did that then you could perhaps go a SIM only deal for a year offering say 20Gb a month for $25 which would probably payoff most of the costs?

Note that $450 isn't the maximum allowed in the contract. If the device repair exceeds this then Optus will offer you a buy your own phone option (same as if the phone was lost or destroyed).

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor stevej02
New Contributor

Thanks for the info Peter.

I called Optus and they said fair market value for the phone will be $730.

So I figure that:

Cost to buy phone $730
Cost to fix screen myself ~$200
Total Cost $930
Less:
Sale of Iphone X on Gumtree: ~$800

So I can come out spending only $130 if I buy the phone out and then sell it on Gumtree.

I have a new Iphone which has been given to me so I can start using that with a SIM only plan.

I would then purchase
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sounds like a pretty paneless (pun intended) way to end a leasing plan with a phone with cracked glass.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Top Contributors