cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Optus Doro Flip Phone

It is a Doro PhoneEasy 623...and its in Mint condition...I bought it as an Interim phone and used it with no problems at all, I am just annoyed that when i purchased it it did not say that it could not be used on the Telstra Network. It was not a dear phone ($129) and it worked fine on Optus network...

But when a phone is Unlocked it should be unlocked to all major networks not just Vodaphone and Optus...This phone was destined for an elderly man who had dropped his seniors phone. He lives on his own and has eyesight problems and the Doro would have been an excellent replacement for him.

Still thats another story...I am venting because there was nothing displayed about it being Non Tesltra compatible.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If this phone does not run on 2100 MHz then you may be out of luck. Apparently the 900 MHz Optus frequency is incompatible with Telstra as Dan pointed out. There is a long thread on the Telstra forum from users wanting to use this phone however it's not compatible according to them. I understand your disappointment but I can't say I agree with your last statement.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-Android-Phones/Doro-phoneeasy-623/td-p/374185

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Thanks for the reply and the Info....Surely If Optus sell a phone that is incompatible with another Network it should be either displayed or Told to the customer when they buy the phone. I wonder how many Other Phones have this problem...?

Thanks for the Link, Makes intersting reading....So the only option  (i will still contact TIO regarding the non disclosure thing) i have is either ebay it or bin it....Smiley Embarassed

Thanks for the Help.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Compatible Network bands are displayed on the packaging of the device (or if not the packaging, they can be found online)

I don't think we'd need to make it clear that the handset may not be supported by another provider who doesn't actually sell the handset. 

As long as the Optus supplied handset is capable of running on the spectrum we own, then that should be enough. 

I can't think of any other work around. It may have previously worked on the 2G network (before the closure). 

This is just my opinion. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

From what I understand it's a prepaid phone exclusively produced for Optus and most likely has its own custom firmware. Many phones, modems and routers are exclusively produced for Optus and I have never seen a disclosure of that nature on any of them. 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Dan C....

900MHz (B8) – Optus, Vodafone

2100MHz (B1) – Telstra, Optus, Vodafone     Seriously how many people would walk into a phone store and ask about the Freqencies of the Network Optus uses.

Yeldarb.. I am not on pre-paid....and how many of the Iphones and Sansung galaxies that Optus sell are crippled by Optus Firmware...I will tell you...None..because once they are unlocked  switching to Telstra is not a problem...just because the Doro is  not a "smart phone" and uses the 3G network does not mean that purchasers should not be informed of its limitations.

Just my opinion but i will be phoning the TIO regarding this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well I tried to find a solution for you John but it doesn't look like there is one. We can agree to disagree on the disclosure point however it really doesn't make any difference to me as I don't work for Optus. If you feel the situation warrants a complaint to the TIO then that is your decision. Personally I would have thought the ACCC would have been the better option.

Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Yeldarb...not having a go at you mate....we will agree to disagree....and you are probably right about using the ACCC. And Thank for the help and Information.

Top Contributors