cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Optus Apps disproportionately checking location

I just wondered whether anyone had an idea why the Optus apps relied on checking your location so often?  DTEK by BlackBerry checks these apps and what they are accessing. I looked at them side by side with Pokemon GO and the comparison with an app that understandably checks your location services is astounding. 

If I've helped, mark with Kudos or Solution so I'm not sitting around scratching my head thinking I've got it wrong.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Optus Apps disproportionately checking location

Other screenshots

If I've helped, mark with Kudos or Solution so I'm not sitting around scratching my head thinking I've got it wrong.
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Hey Clancy, this is probably because of the Network Performance setting in the app, it regularly checks your reception and feeds reports back to Optus.

You can disable this by going to Settings > Network Performance

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Annoyed88
Occasional Contributor

I have this same problem. and it makes me extremely IRATE. The Optus widget will not work with location turned off. WHY?

Why do I have to navigate to the optus app skipp over the stupid "advertizing" and "optus perks" that I'm not interested in one bit, just so I can see the data I have used. The data page is extremely important and should be on page one of the app. Otpus won't let us remove automatic data add ons for $10 a gigabyte. And unfortunately mobile interent data is expensive. So it's something I like to keep an eye on.

I will not accept that apps and corporations like Google can have accsess to "our information" so freely.

I don't understnad why we cant use the standard features of the app with location turned off. I totally get the app having acsess to location is beneficial for some user (people who travel) I myself have never left Australia 😞

Why do users have to accept a sub standard experience as punishment for denying location for the Optus App. I myself like to use open source software as mch as I can. but it's not always posible or convenient.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors