Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus Alert email

I received an email from Optus Alert " Final reminder Restriction on Your Optus Account"  in the subject line. Then it says "An important message from optus!" The message has only partially downloaded so I'm not sure if it's safe to download the whole message. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Optus Alert email

Sounds like a common phishing mail. It should be safe to let it finish downloading the email, just don't click on any links or open any attachments if there are any.

Can you post the email here (removing any personal details like name/phone number/account number/ etc.) so that we can take a look?

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

This is the message I just downloaded
AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM OPTUS!
Hi
This e-mail has been sent to you by Optus to inform you that we were unable to process your last payment of bill.
This might be due to either of the following reasons:
A recent change in your personal information (e.g: billing address, phone)
Submitting incorrect payment information during bill payment process
Due to this, to ensure that your service is not interrupted we request you to update your billing information now:
Optus-Spacer.gif Update now › Optus-Spacer.gif
If your billing information is not updated within 48 hours your ability to use any services provided by Optus such as Broadband, Wireless, Cable, Dial-up and E-mail services might be restricted.

Optus Customer Service Team
Privacy

This email was sent by: Optus 1 Lyonpark Road Macquarie Park, NSW, 2113, Australia.
THIS IS A SYSTEM GENERATED EMAIL. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yep, that 100% a phishing scam. Reads like a phishing scam and I found a virtually identical one targeting British Telecom customers:

Dear Customer,

This e-mail has been sent to you by BT to inform you that we were unable to process your last payment of bill.This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information. (eg: billing address, phone)
2. Submitting incorrect Payment information during bill payment process.

Due to this, to ensure that your service is not interrupted, we request you to confirm and update your billing information today

Just forward that email to abuse@optusnet.com.au and then you can delete it.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I received one of these today, too.

From the Optus website:

Reporting hoaxes, phishing or scams

You can report scams, phishing attempts or other hoaxes to the ACCC's Scamwatch website.  Alternatively, if someone is phishing for your Optus details via email or a malicious link, you can let us know by forwarding the email and its headers to (you'll need to go to the optus website to view the email address because it won't copy here - how c...

Email headers contain routing information that help us to identify the sender. If you’re unsure how to forward headers to us, you can find instructions on this page, or check out your email provider’s website for help.