cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor sheloilcan
New Contributor

Optus AC800s firmware needed to flash AC810S ( telstra ) modem to get web access

I recently bought a telsra branded Netgear AC810S modem, which does come with default settings for use with telstra. I have added the Optus APN details for LTE connection ( they are specific ) and got "connected" on the modem. However when I try to access the web I get this auto generated  page from Optus:

WELCOME TO OPTUS

Hmm… looks like you’ve tried to use your Home Wireless Broadband SIM in another device.

Your SIM will only work in the Home Wireless Broadband modem supplied in the kit when you signed up to your plan, so you can’t use it in other devices, like your smartphone or tablet.

It appears the device used (Netgear AC810S ) is an issue so I want to flash the firmware of the AC810s with the Optus AC800s firmware - can someone send me the AC800s firmware file to try. Hopefully this will resolve the issue and get me up and running. 

Im on the data, SIM only plan $80mth/500gb and the clocks ticking as Optus automatically activated the Sim card last week.

Any help info would be much appreciated. I will post my sucess .......or failure.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Optus AC800s firmware needed to flash AC810S ( telstra ) modem to get web access

Flashing firmware on 2 different models wont update the IMEI whitrelist that Optus has for the 800s models.

You need an actual 800s to use the service.

I also think it wont work flashing - e.g. you will briock the device.

Approved device list for the Wireless Broadband plans: 

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Optus-Wireless-Broadband-eligible-device-list/m-p/512447#M61...

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
New Contributor

Re: Optus AC800s firmware needed to flash AC810S ( telstra ) modem to get web access

thankyou for the quick reply, much appreciated. I hope this information helps others, as there is alot of misleading statements about modems working with ALL carriers. 

Thanks again !

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

If the 810 is not locked to Telstra then it will work in Optus Mobile Broadband. 

Optus Wireless Broadband is the only plans with device limitations. 

Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There seems to be some possible confusion over your purchace. It sounds like you bought the Mobile Wireless Broadband package that can only be used with the specific device Optus supplies you? These plans are priced at around $80 for 500Gb. 

SIM only data plans seem to only go up to 100Gb for $60. If you had one of these then that SIM would work in any device (iPad, Telstra Modem etc.) You wouldn't get a warning

However the message you've triggered suggests you are on the other type so perhaps first confirm with Optus what your plan is?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You can get the wireless broadband plans as sim only via chat or store if you have one of the devices listed above. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor

I have obtained the SIM via the online chat. I did not wish to buy the package which included the modem as I was unsure if I could even get OPtus connection due to tower locations in my area. ( modem is available only on 24th contract ) so I decided no modem and month by month to see if it was feasable.  After an hr chatting with supposed consultants in the phillipines they finally admitted they have no idea of signal converage. So I bit the bullet and took out data only 500gb /mth for $80. The isssue is  - I DO HAVE CONNECTION via the netgear AC810s to the internet. I am stopped from accessing web content due to the IMEI number of the modem - being for an AC810s and not the recommended/Optus whitelisted AC800s. SO whilst you can install the correct APN details for Optus in a Telstra branded modem and have it function correctly AND CONNECT, OPTUS will prevent the connection as its not the modem they sell.  The only answer is either buy an OPtus AC800s modem or change the IMEI number of the AC810s modem to that used by the AC800s.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

A condition of the month to month is that you have one of the existing devoces on that list, hence why its not available via web that way. 

Top Contributors