Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
MarcBear1
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus 3G Network Closure

Hi. Just wondering when Optus is planning to close the 3G network please? (i.e. When will it become necessary for me to upgrade from my current Optus 3G mobile phone to a 4G mobile phone?)

0 Kudos
11 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus 3G Network Closure

I doubt there's a firm date in mind yet. Rest assured you will get several years of official notice. 

As a guide each 'G' is introduced aproximately every 10 years (2G 1990, 3G 2000, 4G 2010, 5G 2020)

2G was around for 25 years before being switched off. That would put 3Gs End Of Life at around 2025. 

Bear in mind though that 3G was a considerable step up from 2G and may last longer again.

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
HWill
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter That's reassuring. I was recently looking for answers about 3G. My shared data plan ceased working on my iPhone and iPad. During the help chat I was told. The tower near by the location is under investigation. XX/XXXX-2019 08:17:00 AM We've identified a fault which means you might experience issues with voice and/or data at the moment. Our team are on to it, and aim to fix this as soon as possible. We're sorry for the inconvenience. It was solved on my iPhone by activating 4g data but my iPad is old and did not have the option of 4g. Before and after the outage my data has disappeared this month quicker than I thought it should. I bumped the iPhone back down to 3G while I was up the street as it could not acquire it from home. But once that was the setting that is what it works off. Cheers
scriv
New Contributor
New Contributor

Is 3G Network closed for service to *****?

0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi @scriv, our 3G network is still available. Are you having mobile connection issues? Did you get a chance to check our → Network Status page for any reported fault in your area. Has any → basic troubleshooting helped.

If the issue still continues then you are best to speak with our Technical Support team via the → messaging service to assist you further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
MarcBear1
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, two years on from when I asked my original question re timing of 3G closure, to which you kindly responded, I have seen various media coverage regarding the march toward 5G etc. What is Optus's current position on 3G closure date please? (I use one of those relatively simple Optus supplied Doro 3G phones on a prepaid plan for straight forward talk and text only, which admirably meets my needs). Just trying to predict when I will need to upgrade to an Optus 4G prepaid mobile phone.

0 Kudos
z_hook

Hi @MarcBear1,

Thanks for reaching back out.

Throughout April and early May 2022, we'll be reallocating (known as re-farming) our 2100MHz spectrum band to offer a better experience for our 4G services, as well as support the growth of 5G technology. Spectrum refers to the range of frequencies we use to deliver a mobile service. These frequencies are further divided into spectrum bands which make up the Optus 3G, 4G and 5G network.

We have a support page here with all the information and how this will impact you. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

MarcBear1
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi z hook (moderator),

I appreciate the information provided on this issue.

One further question please.

I understand that Optus will continue operate the 900MHz 3G band after the April 2022 reallocation of the 2100Hz band.

My wife and I are currently using Optus supplied Doro PhoneEasy 623 and Alcatel one touch mobile phones as prepaid devices on the Optus 3G 2100Hz band.

Neither of these are listed by Optus as commonly used devices impacted by the switch from 3G 2100Hz to 3G 900Hz. i.e. Hoping they will continue to function on 900Hz band.

The Optus literature suggests that the customer may need to check with the phone manufacturer to determine functionality on 900Hz.

This is all very well, but with respect we purchased these devices direct from Optus on the basis that they would logically work on Optus the Optus Network.

In all fairness, as a long term Optus customer, I am less than impressed with having to chase down the phone manufacturers, to determine whether Optus supplied  Doro PhoneEasy 623 and Alcatel one touch units will or won’t work on the 900Hz band.

Can Optus please clarify the post April 2022 functionality of these two devices on the Optus 3G network?

Appreciate your advice.

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Hi @MarcBear1, I've just been looking into the manual for the Doro PhoneEasy 623 device and it looks like it shouldn't be impacted by the reallocation of the 2100MHz spectrum. If you had any questions about an Alcatel device, please let us know which specific model you're using so we can look for some more info on that device. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
MarcBear1
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jack-YC

Thank you for responding.

The Alcatel Onetouch 3G mobile has a model designation 20.45X.

Hoping to determine it’s compatibility for the switch to 900MHz band.

Appreciated.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors