cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Davem1
New Contributor

Online Special $59 Iphone 8

I was looking to purchase the iPhone 8 256GB on the online special $59 +$10 handset. This promotion was valid until 03/01/18. I have spoken to online chat and they say that it is no longer available. I understand the phone is out of stock but there was no mention of promo expiring due to stock levels. It was simply - place order before 03/01/18. Many online chats later and still getting nowhere. One operator has put me on the waitlist and says I just have to wait. Another said they would honour the price and then the chat was disconnected. I am happy to wait - simply want to place my order during the promotional period. I called sales and was put on hold for the online sales team - 2 hours wait then phone disconnected. Just another example of the poor customer service from Optus. Is anybody having any luck with this promotion. Will go to the ombudsman/ACCC if needed.

21 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Online Special $59 Iphone 8

Hey @Davem1, there's definitely been some confusion. 

You're correct in saying that the end date of the promotion is the 03/01/2018. The FAQ's for this particular offer state that:

The offer is available for new and recontracting customers through Online and Web Chat only.

The offer is available on selected handsets, whilst stocks last. Handset repayments vary.

• iPhone 8 (64GB and 256GB)
  • iPhone 7 256GB
  • iPhone 7 Plus 256GB
  • Samsung Galaxy S8
  • HTC U11
  • Huawei Mate 10 Pro

The offer wasn't specific to the iPhone 8 but rather it was one of 6 handsets that were elegible for purchase on the $59.00 promo plan. 

As of the 22nd of December, the iPhone 8 isn't being promoted online. The iPhone 8 is not available for raincheck or back order. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Davem1
New Contributor

The FAQ you have mentioned below was not available anywhere on the sales page for this promotion. I have been back and it is still not there. The only info on the plan is as follows: Offer available to new services in Telesales, Online and Webchat. Offer available to recontracting services Online and Webchat only. Available with selected handsets. Not available with other offers. Offer ends 3/1/18.

Are you now telling me you will not honour the price when the iPhone 8 is back in stock!! I would like for you to point out where this FAQ is located on the sales page that references until stock last.

0 Kudos
Moderator Wesley-J

Hey @Davem1 - that's definitely not the case. If the device is in stock and you were to order the iPhone 8 through Telesales, Online or Webchat before the 03/01/2018 on that 20GB data plan, there would be no reasons why we wouldn't honour that deal. The iPhone 8 isn't available for rain-check or back-order so new orders can't be placed until more stock arrives.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Katie1985
New Contributor

If you are not already an Optus post paid customer (so a new Optus customer or an Optus prepaid customer) if you can find a store with them in stock they should honour the $59 plan. I picked up an iPhone 8 64gb from the Werribee Plaza store yesterday on the $59 deal. I know their stocks were low but give a call around to stores in your area to see if they have any.

0 Kudos
Contributor Mia123
Contributor

I also contacted live chat and have kept a copy of it as well. She advised the Iphone 8 was out of stock, which I don't think is true. I visited one of the Optus stroes that morning, and the representative advised they had them in Stock.

There isn't any mention of "While stock lasts" as I have also kept a copy of the advertised $59.00 special and the terms and conditions. The Optus representative, advised she would send me an email once in stock and I'd be able to go ahead and sign up for this plan. Somehow I think she didn't have a clue what planet she was on.

My advice to everyone on this feed is to contact "CHOICE", once we make them aware they'll fight for us. That's what they do as well as, bringing it to the attention of the Ombudsmen. Consumers can't go wrong, especially when you have copies of it all.

I'll be goiing on Facebook, and will start to bring this to the attention of Choice this morning. I'm not going to be lied to.

Contributor Mia123
Contributor

By the way, I've kept all the copies of the online specail, include your live chat representative who advised me I could still have the special.

Anyone out there who has been duped by Optus, please do on FACEBOOK and start a forum discussion on the 'CHOICE" page, they''re an organisation who are a voice for consumers. Pretty soon this will be made public.

The ombudsman is looking good and Optus you don't actually stand a chance when I have copies of my chat with your representative so, I won't be asking if I can still apply for the OPTUS PLAN OF 59.00, I'll be demanding.

Contributor Mia123
Contributor

How do you back order? this will be interesting.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Davem1
New Contributor

Hi Mia. Totally agree with you - let me know how you get on. They cannot simply pull the deal and then say oh there was a FAQ that said until stocks last but the FAQ was not available anywhere for reference. Also they are now being downright rude with their response. Of course you can order on the promotion as long as they are back in stock by 03/01 - i think they take us for fools.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Davem1, it's not our intention to come across as rude. We're trying to set the right expectation from our end. I understand that there's been a real lack of communication, that's feedback that we do need to on-board to avoid a similar situation from arising in the future.

We're doing our best to try and help out via this channel. I get that the outcome you're looking for is to be able to sign up for the $59.00 promo with the iPhone 8 but at this time the handset has been withdrawn from the offer.

I've left another comment on a thread below:

If you'd successfully placed an order for the iPhone 8 on the $59.00 promo plan then yes you're entitled to receive the offer that you'd signed up for. We haven't gone back to customers and advised that we're no longer able to fulfil their order. We've simply withdrawn the iPhone 8 from the offering as we've run out of stock. The $59.00 promo plan is still valid up until the 3/1/18 for eligible handsets.

Under Australian Consumer Law section 35

It is illegal to engage in this conduct where goods or services are advertised for sale at a discounted price, and they are not available in reasonable quantities and for a reasonable period at that price.

If for example we'd advertised the $59 promo with the iPhone 8 but had a small - limited number of handsets in stock then I could concede that's there's been some wrongdoing. We had a reasonable number of iPhones in stock. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors