cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor JosieSmith
New Contributor

Note8 discounts for Note7 (Samsung store only) buyers

So the new Samsung Note 8 has finally arrived, but it is a bitter sweet pill to swallow with the Mobile Giant offering a discount to its former Note devotees who suffered through (not one but) two product recalls!  Indeed, how is Samsung helping wounds heal?  By offering the Aussie customers a discount on the (long awaited) Note 8 only to those Note 7 customers who purchased their handset from Samsung directly!  As a Note 7 customer who was not happy about having to hand the phone back (either time) being told I am not eligible for a discount on the new Note 8 sucks!  The bottom line, I purchase A SAMSUNG PRODUCT so regardless of where I got it, directly or through a carrier, is irrelevant.  If it was important, why didn't only those who purchased their Note 7s from Samsung directly that gave it back?  Why be choosey now?  I'm guessing to save a buck???  

Anyone else out there in the same boat, if so, speak up and let Samsung Australia know about this before their offer deadline (21 Sept)

8 Replies
New Contributor BurnedCustomer
New Contributor

Re: Note8 discounts for Note7 (Samsung store only) buyers

Unfortunately, despite all the PR rhetoric Samsung seems committed to burning its loyal Note 7 users.  I know 5 Australian Note users who are now looking elsewhere - as Samsung and their retailers (Harvey Norman + JB +...) have lied about a discount on the Note 8.  After returning the Note 7 twice - we were told if we purchased another Samsung phone we'd be given a discount on the Note 8.  Well Samsung are only offering this to customers who purchased directly through Samsung.  Sorry all retail customers - we are burning you!  I still have the note 7 case and screen protectors (no refund for those).  Unless Samsung come through with a discount for all the loyal note 7 users - I say ditch them and buy a Huawei - the new one looks incredible. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Hi there,

Well it seems Samsung is listening and (with enough push) will come to the party and actually do the right thing by the Note 7 customers.  Currently they have sent messages (privately) to people like myself via Facebook and email saying that they will offer $250 vouchers to help with the cost of the new Note 8 to former Note 7 customers in Australia.  More information to follow.

If you have a facebook account, please do search for Samsung posts (and some of mine as well, Josie Smith) as the battle continues.  I'm not accepting the $250 voucher, and believe it should be on par with what is offered to US and Korean customers ($425).

Giving up this battle isn't an option for me, but if you prefer let it go of course that's your choice.

Personally, airport security didn't ask me where I got my Note 7 before refusing me the right to board their aircraft, so why should Samsung as me (and others like me) now, and refuse offering us all the same discount (globally, no exceptions). Equity and fairness that is all I ask, nothing more or less than my global neighbours.

I think that's the only honourable thing to do, given the whole Note 7 fiasco.

All the best,

Josie

New Contributor BurntCustomer
New Contributor

Yes - I got the $250 discount offer - however, it was only available to Samsung customers not retail customers.  Yes - I was unable to board a flight to India with a Note 7 - can't go on a business trip with no phone - had to rush to Harvey Norman to exchange and that is when they offered the "buy another samsung and get a discount" incentive.  I can't see why they are burning loyal users with this hassle.  Crazy when so many competitor phones are coming on market with similar or better specs.  Once you lose a customer it is hard to get them back.  I will give them a week - then go elsewhere.  Good luck Jessie.

New Contributor

The battle will most likely take until their deadline of 21 September, however I am hoping that they see the light beforehand.  Nevertheless, I am doing this on principle, they cannot (and should not) get away with treating loyal customers like this.  The more people stand up to them the better.

I hope you hang in there a bit longer, but I understand if you choose not to.

They are considering the discount for all Note 7 customers (from retailers as well as them directly) and with enough pressure they will fold; they have to, their reputation is already too damaged to fight with loyal customers; the long term cost is too great.

All the best,

Josie

New Contributor

Hi Josie... appreciate your comments.  However you sound like you're still going to buy one. Fact is after 2x returns and not being able to return peripherals my company won't hear of buying another Samsung phone.  Only way would be a financial incentive. So if Samsung don't deliver on their promise I will move to another android phone.  Hopefully they have a favourable announcement this week.  All retail customers burnt in this should move on as well. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

I was told by a Samsung Customer Service person on the weekend that retail customers need to "wait" as Samsung will possibly be making an announcement soon re. discount on Note 8 for those who went through the 2x Note7 recalls.  I guess Jessie is right - it will take them up to 21st deadline...

0 Kudos
New Contributor Thebuilder
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm having the same battle with Samsung, it's pure discrimination, they ( Samsung and Harvey Norman ) were quite happy to take my money ( and yours ) so, if you're American you get a better deal $425.00 American, considering the current exchange rate .80 AUD and 1.00 USD, even $340.00 AUD would be a good start.

Yet the Amercians aren't getting the Wireless charger???  No, they're not.

OK Samsung, in summary, this is what I'm prepared to accept, Note 8  $1499.00

Wireless charger ( value $125.00 )

Note 7 (  total of 2 products used )discount $340.00

Prepared to pay $1034.00 which represents a reasonable deal considering I waited on 2 occasions to collect a Note 7, 2 trips to collect the phone, 2 trips to return the phones, waiting on 2 occasions for service and then considering the accessories purchased that are now rubbish, seriously Samsung, get real.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Common Samsung... you clearly have forgotten about loyal Aust customers... your marketing people for Asia Pacific need to be performance managed.  The battery issue was bad but treating loyal customers like this is unforgivable. We're all still waiting for a resolution...

Top Contributors