Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor Ellas
Occasional Contributor

Note 8 WIFI issues after pie update

If you've just received the pie sofware update for note 8 you may have encountered a few problems like WIFI connectivity. I'm not overly impressed with the update overall ( more intrusiveness & messing around. eg. Factory data reset now requires email confirmation, how you do that without connectivity is beyond me where you have no mobile data available -you'll have to use the physical buttons) which brings us back to WiFi. I've tried everything including a factory data reset. I did not do a backup & restore so as to ensure that no bugs were reinstalled. However, the problem persists. Much older phones are having no problem but the Note does. No problems before the update, so it must be the update. It's been weeks. A phone with problematic WiFi connectivity is useless. What is Optus doing to fix this issue? I don't care what Samsung is doing, that's b/w you & them, I contracted with you. 

Ps. The only way I can get the phone to connect is virtually standing next to the router. My note 3 connects from 30m away.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Note 8 WIFI issues after pie update

Unfortunately, you've neglected to disclose vital information beyond "I have a contract with you".

If your Note 9 IS STILL UNDER CONTRACT, and you believe the WiFi issues are caused by the alleged software update, take your phone into an Optus store for them to send it away for repair/rectification.

Otherwise,

Is it just your "Home WiFi" you are having these alleged problems?

Can you be more specific than "problems"? Are you having trouble connecting? Are you having data loss? Not getting an IP? 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response. Under contract yes but there's also ACL so no issue there. Phone is the Note 8 & barely 12mths old. Crippled & stuck in a chair, only tested with home Wifi.. Since the update the Note upon being turned on fails to connect, has trouble locating networks (eg. even neighbours - so there's some degree of testing re other networks there) and spends an inordinate amount of time searching for networks. Basically I have to stand next to the router to get it to connect.  I am aware I can send it way, reason for posting is to see if others are having similar problems & whether some fix is in the works so as to avoid that. If the problem in not wide spread & no fix is in the pipeline then it boils down to antenna or other issues & I will have to send it away. (Samsung have had antenna issues of late the s7 case in point but took 2 yrs of use before a complete fail.) I'd hate to think a barely  used phone less than 12mths old would have similar issues. In any event, I've mentioned the reason for the post. Walking onto a property a high end new phone should connect with no problems. S5, note3,  8+, iphones = zero issues. So all I require from this site is whether the issue is prevalent & if anything is in the works re fix. If not I 'll send it away  Either way, Samsung is off the list in perpetuity; far too many issues with recent phones. Ps. Samsung own this, sadly it falls on Optus to fix it. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Yes it falls on Optus to repair if in contract and the fault is a warranty cause. But as a flip you need to be aware that if it was caused by say you dropping it (not saying you did just an example), then you need to be aware this isn’t on Optus. 

Youll need to take it into Optus, I haven’t seen a mass of complaints like you describe on whirlpool or Yes Crowd. However, everything you suggest and state points to a faulty device. So you’ll need Optus to fix it.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response. I'm fully aware of the law & where responsibility lays & I don't need to be reminded of the obvious fact that physical damage caused by myself is not covered under manufacturer, supplier or statutory warranties. The reason I made a point of placing emphasis on where responsibility lay is b/c all too often companies have a habit of passing on onus & as you failed to do as well inform people of their rights under ACL. Your capitalization of are you still in contract attests to that fact. If your intention was to alert me to the fact that outside of warranty & where the provider fails to take responsibility, redress is through fora other than the TIO you should have explicitly stated that. I was simply trying to avoid a possible run around which people often get. 

In fact, I asked a simple question, namely, were others reporting such issues & whether a fix was in progress. I did that IN ORDER TO SAVE OPTUS MONEY by not prematurely sending in the phone. Usually I do not do that, it was for Optus's benefit not me.  I received no direct answer so I'll assume the reply is negative. I'll give it another wk. & see if the phone settles/a bug fix comes through, then send it in. (I've read that sometimes after a new software update things may take a while to get back to normal.) I notice that once connected the phone works well, reconnecting being the issue.  In any event, thanks for your response, I'll take it from here. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors