cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Phonenotworking
Occasional Contributor

Not receiving some text message

I recently purchased a moto g5 plus, and put my Optus SIM in it. Since I have started using this phone I don't receive all of the messages that my partner sends me, so come through, some don't. She has not changed her phone and is with Optus too. Is it a problem with my new phone or my service? Any suggestions for what I can do to fix this?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Not receiving some text message

Any chance your previous phone was an iPhone and your partner also has an iPhone? I'm thinking iMessage is causing the problem. As in she's sending you iMessages but you don't have an iPhone anymore so can't receive them. If that is the case, to test just ask her to turn iMessage off in the the settings section and if it works 100%, you know the cause. Next step is to talk to apple. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately neither of us have an iPhone so that's not the solution. My partner has a galaxy s8, I had a Sony z5 previously. Both Android phones. I thought it may have been the settings on my new phone, but I would have thought I wouldn't receive any messages if that was the case.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

You said you put your Optus SIM in the new phone so it's safe to assume you were already with Optus and not porting in from someone else?

The only other thing I can think of is you're not receiving MMS (picture messages as well as some text ones) but you are receiving the SMS she sends. MMS can be caused by a settings problem because each carrier has different settings and they don't update automatically. Take a look at this article and check your settings are the same.

If that doesn't work, it's a long shot but your SIM may have become faulty when you transferred it so maybe head in store and ask for a repalcement. They are free and it's quite quick and painless. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

We had a bizarre problem with a friend who sent from Virgin, but we could never reply, unless we deleted all her SMSes. It was caused by the stock Android messenger. It could be the Moto.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Went and got a new SIM from the local Optus store, and it unfortunately hasn't fixed the problem. Any Optus staff have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

How reliable is it receiving texts from Paypal, or other two factor sites?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Had no issues when I set up my banking app and they sent me a text for verification purposes

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

It might be the sending phone causing the problem, or the relationship between the two phones on Optus. (But you should test whether some other phone, or SMS source is reliable.)  What is the reliability factor of the fault?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

At this stage I am not aware of any other phones that I have not received messages from. Having said that, the fault seems to be intermittent and the most consistent phone contact I have is with my partner so it is not surprising that her phone is the only phone that a problem has been observed with.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors