Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Not all 3G is 3G

Headed the warnings all through July hat 2G was going and checked my old retro N70 phone had 3G yes said the folks at YES.

Well NO when iw ent to muy site workplace near Cavendish VICTORIA right under the DUNDAS/Melville forest CELL tower ZIP.

When I walked to top of rise I got a 3G logo but calls would drop out 43km to Hamilton.

BOSS said if you ahve no mobile coverage at work its WH&S issue go get new phone.

So i go tot eh YES shop and get told yeah your phoen si 3G but not THAT 3G meaning the old cell at Melville Forests uses OLD G not NEW G

Oh GEE I said.

SO new phoen needed but when I scanned the shop I could not see one MOBILE PHONE CRADLE for vehicle mounting as I drive a 2005 RAV 4 no blue tooth no hot cofee no warmed seats.

ANd at $470 on the pot fines our company insists on phoen attached to dash board.

So whats with this OLD 3G New 3G crap and whats the solution new fancy smart phone you can swipe while driving and get fined $470?

And what aboout aerial extension couplers and range (you know so that when you hit a kangaroo at Cheery Pool or Zumsteins you na actually get a cell service?) or doesnt that matter any more or are all folks city centric think world ends at ballarat?

Just asking.

Steve Gregory
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Not all 3G is 3G

Certainly battled reading through all that..

Without going into a debate. Yes the old N70 is a 3G phone but with limited frequency allocations (900 2G, 1800, 1900 MHz) in the device hence the restricted service. I'm sure back in 2005 it would've been more than enough as it covered the range of it's time.

You certainly don't come across as dumb and realise that as technology moves forward some stuff gets left behind.. I still wish we had a analog service as that had far better reach. Still with the implementation of the 700MHz range in the digital spectrum (improving every day), well it's certainly getting better and those thoughts are disappearing. Yes it's a pain the telcos dropped the 2G service as it had the best coverage over all but the tech is super old (like the N70) and that septum is needed to move forward.

I suggested that you purchase a phone that has a wide frequency range. One way would be if you was to purchase a phone that covers the 4GX range it'll basically supply the current full spectrum (well hopefully as I'm sure some extra research would be required) I.e. 700, 850, 900, 1800, 2100, 2300, 2600 ect. 

Still with that said the iphone se is a powerful little beast. Yes I'm sure there's better and cheaper but hey I'm a bit of a fan boy.

Model A1723*
LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28)
TD‑LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
TD‑SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
CDMA EV‑DO Rev. A (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC‑HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Anyway I guess I could prattle in for ages about this and that, the bottom line is, purchase a phone that is close to being future proof (nothing is absolute) to what you can afford.

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos