cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

Tajemi
New Contributor
New Contributor

Normal wear and tear = $400

So, my daughter's lease contract is almost up and she went in to get a new phone. The staff looked at her phone and deemed this tiny scratch worth $400!! And she needs to pay or send the phone off to be assessed and then pay what ever is determined to be the repair costs.

In the contract it states that normal wear and tear is accepted (although it is to be determined by Optus *rolls eyes*).

Seriously, this phone is two years old. It does not state that the phone needs to be in perfect condition.

I am really upset by the out come. 

Thoughts?

135281967_771862420206584_8241284367305409411_n.jpg

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jono_YC

Re: Normal wear and tear = $400

Hi @Tajemi it's not great to hear that your daughter is having issues with her leasing contract.

If you require further assistance, we're available to assist via Social Media. Please send us a private message to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Unfortunately leasing plans were extremely bad value. If you had opted for an identical buy the phone plan it would have cost $10 more a month but the phone would now be hers outright to do with as she pleases. Instead you have essentially signed away all rights to negotiate here and Optus is the sole arbiter of what you will need to pay.

One option is to ask for a buy out figure from Optus (again they'll tell you what that must be). Buy the phone and then sell the phone on eBay. The price difference should hopefully be less than $400.

At this stage though store staff aren't the best option. Perhaps try a different store and you might get a different answer. Otherwise send it in and get it appraised properly. You can also as for the buy out figure anytime as that is a fixed amount and not dependant on any damage or lack thereof.

A small scratch should usually not be an issue in handing back the phone though. What is considered reasonable condition:

Can power on and off
Has a fully functional touchscreen and battery
Is not physically damaged i.e. liquid damage, cracked, discoloured or bleeding screen (LCD) or casing & no missing buttons or SIM tray
Does not have any missing, disassembled, customised or non-genuine parts
Does not have any severe scratches (normal wear and tear such as light marks and scratches are okay)
Locking features are disabled i.e. Find my iPhone or Face ID
Is not IMEI blocked i.e. blocked due to being lost or stolen
Is the phone you leased from us under the mobile equipment lease plan
0 Kudos
Tajemi
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yeah, the lease plan would not have been my choice but my eldest daughter (in her 20's) organised it for her sister. 
We only have one optus store where I live so we are kind of stuck in that case.

*sigh*

0 Kudos
Tajemi
New Contributor
New Contributor

Honestly I don't think the phone is worth $400 anyway and the scratch is so small and does not effect the phones use. Do you know what happens at the end of the lease agreement? I have very little idea about what is involved.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

You basically have 4 options:

• Return it and pay nothing - If not assessed by Optus as being damaged
  • Return it and pay damage fee as assessed by Optus
  • Keep it and pay the "fair market value" as assessed by Optus.
  • Extend the lease and keep pouring more money down the drain.

See here for details.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

There's an optus summary around here somewhere. A small scratch would not normally require a screen replacement fee.

At this stage you should

1 contact Optus on Facebook or the phone app and request a buy out figure. They can give this immediately without inspection.

2. Consider buying the phone. She can sell it or just keep using it. If she only uses day 20 GB a month then a 12 month prepaid plan like boost its only $300 all up. Or perhaps gomo. She'll save save a lot of money even if she only does this for the next 12 months

3. If she doesn't want to buy then she must return it in the next few months. Optus will access if it needs a screen replacement and the cost.

4. To return it, contact Optus on the phone app or Facebook and request a return satchel be sent to her. Send in the phone and they will check it and give her the fee (if any) as well as a price to buy it instead. Her choice then.

Important. Disable any find my phone options on the phone Apple account