Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

Nokia 8

MickeyLou

Hello everyone just excited about the new flagship Nokia 8 phone coming soon.

Does anyone know when the release date in Australia is?

What the price range will be and is Optus going to sell them?

Regards

Re: Nokia 8

Davelew

Hi

Nokia have said the phone will be released in Australia sometime in September with a price of $899. These dates often slip back.

Whether Optus will stock them is a matter of conjecture, you will just have to wait and see.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

MickeyLou

Thanks Dave,

In your own opinion and everyone elses opinions what do you think of the phone?

petergdownload

The Nokia 8 will be $899

Pre-Orders are now available and stock arrives on the 7th of September (20 days)

Optus aren't currently selling any Nokia phones, but I don't see any claims to exclusivity for this model so presumably it will.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

petergdownload

Sub $1000 tick

Good Camera tick

Minimalist Design tick

Good Audio tick

Galaxy S8 specs tick

Stock Android 7.1 tick (tick and tick)

Nostalgia factor tick

On paper its well provisioned and well priced and seems to be avoiding stupid gimick features.

Worthy of consideration if you're into Android.

Peter Gillespie

Davelew

Hi

I would be inclined to wait and see as the early reviews are purely on the phones are ones given out by Nokia.

One plus about to sell the OnePlus 5 in Australia. If you want a flagship phone at a cheaper price have a look at it:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/08/oneplus-is-coming-to-australia/

I must admit I am biased as I own a OnePlus 3t.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
MickeyLou

I was looking into waiting to buy the Google Pixel 2 but now this new flagship nokia 8 has turned my head, which also has the pure android experience as well.

Thanks Peter

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

So probably about $650-$700 Dave? The One Plus has a good pedigree and could still be called cheap compared to the $1000+ flagship models. But compared to $899? I'd put them both up for contention although I'm not sure the OP has the patience to wait through a "Soft Product Limited Run Launch" Smiley Happy.

I'd agree that I wouldn't pre order a phone without independent conformation. That said, the specs are all pretty standard and the user GUI experience is already known. I'd feel confident the phone should perform pretty much as advertised (assuming it doesn't have some critical major flaw like catching fire occassionally). My major question mark would be battery life.

For me the biggest yes factor is Stock Android. Does the One Plus do that? 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS I'm biased as I have a Nexus

Davelew

Hi 

It runs oxygen OS which is very near stock Android but with a few useful tweaks.

https://oneplus.net/3t/oxygenos

You can currently buy it through eBay from Australian sources for around $620 for the 64 GB model. 

Dave

petergdownload

I'm assuming that's the grey market which your article suggested hasn't been 100% rewarding in this case. If HCM bring it 'legit' to Oz with all the support and warranty load then presumably they'll need to bump the price a bit.

Anyway. I'm happy enough with my Nexus at the moment. Smiley Happy

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
110 Kudos
89 Kudos
76 Kudos
74 Kudos
71 Kudos