cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

bunnygoesboom
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Nexus 6P sent off for repair - no resolution

I've been having issues with my Nexus 6P draining incredibly quickly, and shutting down between 20-30%. It also occasionally reboots itself. I purchased it on a post paid plan in January 2016.

I went to an Optus store and they sent it off for repair under Optus' warranty on the 16th September. I was told they would likely replace the battery or - since the rep believed the Nexus 6P is no longer manufactured - that I would receive a replacement handset from the same brand.

I collected it on the 26th September, only to find out that through "extensive testing" they could find no fault and only performed a factory reset and firmware update. Had their testing really be so extensive, they would have experienced the drainage issues and the premature shut downs.

Through my own research I knew this wouldn't do a thing, as I know many other Optus 6P users have experienced the same issues and they've had to send their phones in multiple times and just end up escalating to the TIO. There's even an ongoing lawsuit in the US regarding the phone and it's problems. When I asked the rep what my options were if I were to continue to have issues, he told me to come back and they'd send it off again labeled as an "ongoing issue". Sure enough, as soon as I got home and used the phone, it drained and shut down at 20-30%.

I have attempted to call tech support and get the issue escalated with the Optus team, but - surprise, surprise - I was told they could do nothing and I would have to go in store again. Even after I told them sending it in multiple times was not an option and that it seems my only option was the TIO.

I am not in a position to spend weeks attempting to get a solution when it's clear Optus will not provide one. I have already submitted a complaint to the TIO. Not something I wanted to do, but I need my phone. And I'm certainly not going to fork out for a new one like they suggested during the initial repair process.

Has anyone experienced this same problem? Was there anything you did that expedited the process? What kind of proof should I provide to support my claim? So far I'm getting screenshots of the battery depletion/usage over time and shut downs.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GlenTerra
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Nexus 6P sent off for repair - no resolution

Not sure if this info will help you or even make you feel any better, but I had a similar problem develop with my Nexus 6P.  After many months of trying different fixes and trying to resolve the drain and occassional shutdown I contacted Google.  They sent a list of more things to try, and after another month of frustration I contacted them again to tell them I wasn't able to correct the issues.  They promptly sent out a refurbished Nexus 6p, which I wasn't happy about, but it did resolve all the issues and now I am in love again with my phone.  Never did find out why the problem materialized. Have had the refurbished phone since July 2017, and it is a dream phone that continues to amaze all who see it.  Even my apple buddies.

0 Kudos
bunnygoesboom
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Did you purchase your 6P through Optus? From what I understand, Google won't touch the phone unless it was bought directly through them?

0 Kudos
GlenTerra
New Contributor
New Contributor

I bought my phone directly through Google.

0 Kudos
Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @bunnygoesboom - we've responded to your other thread here.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors