cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

New phone trade up at 12 months

With a 36 month contract can you still trade up for $149 at 12 months (same as a 24 month)??

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: New phone trade up at 12 months

Yes....

seeing as it's a current promo that includes 36 month plans that State

$0 New Phone Trade Up in 12mths
(normally $149)

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I believe you can trade up anytime after 12 months. Options for phone plan from most to least expensive are:

1) Trade Up every 12 months. Most expensive as you always give back the phone for nothing (and usually pay $150 for the privledge) - Ownership Cost per year $1000+

2) "Trade Up" (buy new)  every 24 months. Cost effective. The quotes are because at 24 months you should be at the end of your planand the phone is yours to keep. Sell it for $1000+ and that comes off you costs. Grab any new phone and plan for free at the 24 month point  - Ownership Cost per year $750+

3) "Trade Up" (buy new) every 36 months. Same as option 2 above but then the 3rd year is a less than half the price SIM only plan.  Ownership Cost per year $500+ 

Pick your poison

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I plan on upgrading every 12 months.

My 11 PRO MAX 256 is costing me $13 a month in handset payments for 36 months, with the free upgrade (aka no $149) I get to upgrade to the newest iphone only having spent 12 x $13 = $156 on handset payments.

Sure I give back the phone, but I get the newest device each year.

Dont see how its ownership cost per year $1000+ in my case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @Paddylee ,

I was looking at the total cost of ownership with those figures (plan + phone etc.) and yes the are very generalised. Looking at the plans on your phone there is a min total cost of $5000 over three years (which is pretty top of the line consumption). You would probably say the data plan has to be gotten anyway but these plan prices are hugely inflated and most people can get away with much less data (and $) etc if they had a choice. 

Not saying do get a new phone every year but the annual cost is much more than $13 a month. That's rule of thumb and I should crunch some actual numbers at some point but the market is set to be so incomparable and changing and every one has different needs that its hard to get a meaningful generalisation.

Something for when I get back from holiday perhaps.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Does anyone have record of this promotion?? I got it with my plan and now Optus is saying it doesn't exist and I have to pay $149 to trade up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

https://www.optus.com.au/content/dam/optus/documents/about-us/legal/digpricings3p4.docx

Page 67

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I also just had this very same battle, so obviously it is impacting others.

0 Kudos

Hey @bindicooper! Thank you for reaching out to us via Yes Crowd. 

Trade-Up is an existing offer that we provide to eligible customers. You can find out if the Trade-Up option is included in your plan by referring to your Critical Information Summary (CIS)

You can also check out some of our Support Articles:

Mobile Phone Trade Up

Trade Up Help and Support

If you have any questions or would like to Trade-Up, I would recommend heading to your closest Optus store where our friendly Retail Team will be more than happy to assist. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Ness_YC this was NOT in the CIS, it was a pre order promo for iPhone 11.

It was meant to add a bolt on so the customer did not get charged the $149

You should have received comms about this issue where the promo was not applied due to a system issue (I know this as I had a complaint raised and rectified in the last few days).

This was what was emailed to me from a Senior Expert in the messaging area.

*Available to recontracting customers who purchase an ELIGIBLE PLAN AND HANDSET.

*The $149 waiver will only apply if the customer chooses to upgrade their device after 12 months post service activation and sign up to a new eligible 24 or 36-month handset plan or device payment plan. Existing New Phone Trade Up rules apply including:

*Must be on the plan for more than 12 months post service activation *Return the handset in 'good working order'

*Sign up to a new eligible 24 or 36 month handset plan or device repayment plan *Existing cancellation fees apply *Eligible customers are not obligated to upgrade after the 12 months *The $149 waiver will be available to eligible handset / plan selections on both 24 and 36-month contract terms *The $149 waiver will be fulfilled in Retail via an NBA offer. All eligible customers have had an NBA offer applied to their service *The $149 waiver offer will be available in all sales channels (excluding Business Channel Partners) *Available for Consumer and SMB customers excluding Business Channel Partners (TechFund and Fleet) *Change of ownership and consolidation of accounts not considered as a new / recontracting service and is not eligible for the offer

Top Contributors