cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor amanda112
New Contributor

New phone trade up at 12 months

With a 36 month contract can you still trade up for $149 at 12 months (same as a 24 month)??

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: New phone trade up at 12 months

Yes....

seeing as it's a current promo that includes 36 month plans that State

$0 New Phone Trade Up in 12mths
(normally $149)

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I believe you can trade up anytime after 12 months. Options for phone plan from most to least expensive are:

1) Trade Up every 12 months. Most expensive as you always give back the phone for nothing (and usually pay $150 for the privledge) - Ownership Cost per year $1000+

2) "Trade Up" (buy new)  every 24 months. Cost effective. The quotes are because at 24 months you should be at the end of your planand the phone is yours to keep. Sell it for $1000+ and that comes off you costs. Grab any new phone and plan for free at the 24 month point  - Ownership Cost per year $750+

3) "Trade Up" (buy new) every 36 months. Same as option 2 above but then the 3rd year is a less than half the price SIM only plan.  Ownership Cost per year $500+ 

Pick your poison

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I plan on upgrading every 12 months.

My 11 PRO MAX 256 is costing me $13 a month in handset payments for 36 months, with the free upgrade (aka no $149) I get to upgrade to the newest iphone only having spent 12 x $13 = $156 on handset payments.

Sure I give back the phone, but I get the newest device each year.

Dont see how its ownership cost per year $1000+ in my case.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Paddylee ,

I was looking at the total cost of ownership with those figures (plan + phone etc.) and yes the are very generalised. Looking at the plans on your phone there is a min total cost of $5000 over three years (which is pretty top of the line consumption). You would probably say the data plan has to be gotten anyway but these plan prices are hugely inflated and most people can get away with much less data (and $) etc if they had a choice. 

Not saying do get a new phone every year but the annual cost is much more than $13 a month. That's rule of thumb and I should crunch some actual numbers at some point but the market is set to be so incomparable and changing and every one has different needs that its hard to get a meaningful generalisation.

Something for when I get back from holiday perhaps.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors