Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

New mobile plan issue

I got a new 65 month plan yesterday and it doesn’t have free Apple music and basic international calling, I did see most of the plans have that and when I asked customer service they asked me cancel the contract by paying $740 or wait for 6 months..it doesn’t seem fair as what I requested is available for plans of lesser monthly cost than me...I am new Optus , ported from Telstra, is it always like this with Optus..? Please suggest
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: New mobile plan issue

I dont see a $65 plan listed here:
https://www.optus.com.au/mobile/plans/shop?SID=con:mcat:3up:2:nov19:postmob:futuremobile:planspage
What is the name of the plan you chose?

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Sounds like you signed up via Harvey Norman by looking at their offerings
They still use old plans with 12 month contracts, not sure why but thats what they offer.
https://www.harveynorman.com.au/optus-mobile-data-plans

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You've entered into a long term contract for services. You should fully understand what you're committing to and at the very least read the CIS before signing.

http://hndgwww2.blob.core.windows.net/www2/products/053%E2%80%93bathrooms/PDFS/34446514_CIS_65_MPP_1...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It easy to say unless one is impacted..how many read terms and conditions..it is not fair to sell plan that doesn’t exist and the contract says plan can be changed and support person says after 6 months..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No solution yet, not clear on why can’t change the plan as per contract and it is just yesterday and I contacted them immediately
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

With that contract/plan you can only go upwards in the same plan family, as that's already the top plan available then you are stuck.

Inclusions should have been provided and you taken through them in the store, is a reason that they only have these plans and lock you in for 12 months, they bundle up to $700 of vouchers to use on a new phone and someone has to pay for that in the end.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@newuser000 wrote:
It easy to say unless one is impacted..how many read terms and conditions..

Not many read the terms and conditions, but in your case it seems that you made an assumption on what should be included based on other plans, not that specific plan.

it is not fair to sell plan that doesn’t exist

Did Optus/Retail store make a misleading claim about the specific plan you purchased? If so then you can certainly argue for cancellation based on that.

the contract says plan can be changed

Then all you need to do is go back to the store and show them where in the contract it says that. But I'm guessing that your actual plan change options are limited in the contract and the plan you want to change to is excluded based on those conditions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I agree it's fraught but it's also a lesson. You don't need to read the full terms and conditions but you should read the critical information summary that must be supplied.

I know it comes across as harsh but it's a worthwhile heads up

It details the inclusions and also the$390 exit fee in your specific case. They make our extremely easy to sign up for$1000's of dollars of debt these days. Hopefully this is a relatively cheap lesson on being more way in the future.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes, ideally I should be able to increase and same is mentioned in contract..not sure why the support person said that change is not allowed in first six months
0 Kudos