cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

New Service activated while overseas = massive roaming charge with no alerts

So a new mobile service was activated while we were overseas, this is ok as I ordered it just before we left.

However, the international roaming was automatically activated - we received no sms or phone call to let us know this was the case. Imagine my horror when we get home to have an $800 bill for internet roaming - not ONCE did we receive any usage alerts.

Seeings that the amounts are spread out over 10 days (or 240 hours) I would have expected an alert after 48 hours - this did NOT happen at all.

This needs to be sorted out and wiped from my bill - Optus are required (by law) to send alerts for every $100 of data used (as stated on their website in numerous places). If this money is not wiped from my bill, I will be taking it to the Ombudsman and the ACCC and make offical complaints (as well as removing all of our accounts from Optus - internet, Fetch, mobile phones etc).

I will be calling Optus tomorrow to have this sorted out - if nothing is done (on their end) I will further my complaint to the above mentioned agencies. I refuse to pay it when you did not send alerts to advise of usage.

This is a disgrace.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: New Service activated while overseas = massive roaming charge with no alerts

Something appears to have gone wrong. Can I suggest you contact Optus first? 

FYI Optus state "International roaming is turned on for all new Optus mobile phones. So, there's no set up" in many places around the website. They're also not required by law to "send alerts" only to "try send alerts". Again they state "as a heads up, there may be delays in receiving usage information and usage alerts."

Yes, its a pretty poor arrangement, especially when such huge potential sums are involved. The ACCC recently fined Optus the maximum possible for exposing customers to unwanted costs by default (with the Premium SMS Scam). It seems Optus doesn't think the rule should apply to other areas of its business. That said, given the abscence of any SMS alerts they probably will remove the charge. Good Luck.

Out of interest, how did you think the phone was working overseas if not for international roaming?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos