Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Sandy6
New Contributor
New Contributor

New SIM required when migrating to NBN?

Thought I’d share my recent experience at Optus Chadstone. Attended to sort out NBN. Plan selected; date locked in; all good. As I was leaving the shopping centre, went to check bus departures on the PTV app. No network. SOS only. Put it down to a network glitch. Once home, connected to wifi and jumped on the Optus app. Explained events leading up to my contact. Was given steps to reset connection to the Optus network. No good. Next it was suggested the SIM needed to be tested. Was asked to put it in another phone- luckily I had one- no good. Advised by Optus that network problems might be related to the SIM and I needed to return to the store. Randomly checked emails. Noticed I had received an email from Optus at the time I left the store stating my new service and SIM were active. What? Next morning at Optus, explained my problem. Met with incredulity. Shared details of the conversation I had with Optus plus the email. A new SIM was provided. In response to my query about the necessity of another SIM, the answer was my original SIM must have been damaged. ‘They get little scratches on them.’ Mmm, bit of a stretch when the SIM had not been touched since inserted over 18 months ago. All problems coincided with my visit to the Optus store, down to the minute. Anyone else experienced needing a new SIM when migrating to NBN? In 3 weeks time? Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: New SIM required when migrating to NBN?

The only SIM related to an NBN service the one that comes pre-inserted in the Optus modem that is use for 4G backup services.

If the email mentioned SIM activation then it may be referring to the above SIM. Otherwise the sales person may have messed not only with your NBN service by your mobile service as well.

Ask Optus what changes, if any, have been made to you mobile service recently.

0 Kudos
Ness_YC

Hi @Sandy, I'm sorry that we have left you feeling this way. I have marked your post as feedback for the relevant teams to review. 

Please note that Mobile and NBN services are separate services on your account and operate on different networks. If you experience network issues with your mobile service, this may be caused by a fault/identified works to the  3G/4G/5G Mobile Network or is an isolated issue. 

If you experience an issue with your mobile service in future, we would recommend:

1) Checking our Network Status Page for any faults or works affecting your service

2) If no faults exist, refer to our Support Guide follow the troubleshooting steps 

3) Reach out to our Technical Support Team via the My Optus App → app.optus.com.au/msg-us?tags=SMC or by calling 133 937 (8am - 8pm, 7 days a week) so that we can assist 

We appreciate you reaching out to our Messaging Team and visiting your local Optus Store again for further assistance.

As for the email, if your NBN plan included the Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up modem, it will include (or you'll be provided) a SIM Card which is inserted in your modem so that you can utilise the 4G-back up function if necessary. We have an informative YC Support Article if you would like to learn more about this modem. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Sandy6
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the response. I’m aware NBN & mobile are separate services. Timing of my mobile SIM being ‘damaged’ coincided to the minute with the Optus rep, who needed help, being in my account. At least it’s fixed.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Did they actually give you an explanation or what happened?

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Thanks for clarifying @Sandy6. It's good to see that is fixed. 

Please feel free to reach out if you ever have any other questions. You can also always message us via the My Optus App if you have any queries too. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Sandy6
New Contributor
New Contributor

No, and no explanation in-store of the process. Only info I was given after my initial visit to organise migrating to NBN was that a technician would attend my home on the agreed date to do the installation. I later received 6 emails stating: nbn fixed Foxtel will be cancelled (I’ve never subscribed), nbn order confirmation, fixed telephone order confirmation, appointment details instructing me to complete installation using my self-install kit (didn’t know I’d be sent anything), Optus sport pack info, my new SIM for my mobile is activated. My impression was the person I dealt with wasn’t very confident in the process- I had to tell him that Fetch was an add-on- and a second individual kept taking over. Pleasant enough people; just uninformative and not particularly engaged. They’re were engaged with each other- not the customer. The person I dealt with via the Optus app was equally pleasant; just couldn’t explain why I needed I new mobile SIM. The person I dealt with the following day in-store was sceptical of my issues and what steps I’d taken to rectify the problem. Can’t stress enough how important it is to be customer-focussed. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us. I've flagged this as feedback for the relevant teams to review, as we're always looking to improve the level of service we provide. 

If there is ever anything else we can assist with, please let us know. 

0 Kudos