cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor JustinC
New Contributor

New Phone Trade-up questions

Hey, I've just come up on the 12 month mark on my current plan, and I'm not sure on a couple of things with the phone trade up feature on my plan..

Firstly, is there an option to do it via post? My "closest" Optus store is not exactly close. 

Secondly, assuming I do have to go into a store, is it a simple matter of rocking up with my old phone and they do it on the spot? no need to call ahead, or having to leave and come back a day or more later?

Also is the $99 fee paid on the spot, or added to my next bill?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: New Phone Trade-up questions

Yes you do need to go into a store (but you can do that at anytime convienient).

Back your phone up beforehand.

Details here

It will need to be largely undamaged.

You'll swap your phone over in store.

The $99 will go on your next bill (but take in a C note just in case)

Note upgrading will extend your contract back to 24 months

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Don't forget, instead of paying the $99 fee you can choose to payout the remaining cost of your phone and keep it instead. Remaining cost is how much you pay ontop of your plan each month for the handset PLUS whatever credit Optus give you towards the handsets multiplied by your remaining months.

Could work out better for you if you think you can sell it and more then cover your costs but obviously more work for you

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Mia255
Occasional Contributor

Im also curious as well, Say you are doing the trade up, Is $99 all you have to pay, What about your old 24month contract do you owe any outstanding payments on that old one or it just swaps to a new contract?

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Mia255

The $99 option is available after 12 months (of a 24 month plan). The phone must essentially be undamaged (no scratches) and you can return it at a store or to Optus via satchel.

$99 is nominally all you pay except ...

1) You're old 24 month plan is cancelled and a new 24 month plan is started again

2) Your new plan will be adjusted for the handset cost (So if you decide to get an iPhoneX your monthly payments will likely go up)

Another way of looking at this option is you are simply getting a new Optus 24 month mobile plan with a handset. The $99 is just the cancellation fee for your old contract and you have to return your handset.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Mia255
Occasional Contributor

Okay thanks, That makes more sense now!

0 Kudos
Top Contributors