Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor MichaelLai
Occasional Contributor

New Contract

Hi, 

I am a new member with Optus. 

Last week I saw a promotion in Ozbargain on 21 Sept. Offer 15GB for $30 per month. Immediately I signed up the offer. On 23 Sept 2017, I received the order confirmation from Optus. This morning, I received the contract from Optus via email. When I read through the contract, the yearly commitment differ than what I signed up. Now the contract show the commitment of $495 instead of $360 what was offer earlier. Could someone from Optus help on this? 

Why the contract stated $495 instead of $360? If there's monthly discount on the bill, it should be stated in the contract. I assume this could because the contract sent out after promotion date 27 Sept, however I received the order confirmation on 23 Sept 2017. I should be in the promotional offer. 

Anyone can help on this or advise me pls. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: New Contract

This is the sale here

Its appears to have been set up a little hurried and confused I agree - seems like some employees just cut and pasted some of the documents (including legal ones). For your plan it mentions $55, $30, $40, 25%, -$10 as factors. Its not at all easy to work out just what is being purchased. 

Calculating through the $18.75 offer that all works out exactly as stated. Your offer is actually a $40 plan. It states this in the CIP. So where does the $30 (minimum cost $360) banner come from?

It took a bit to work out how to get $495 but the numbers are:

Original offer is a $40 plan + $15 (sport)

New offer is 25% off or 55*.75 = $41.25 = $495 a year.

This is not how Optus discounts usually work. What the plan on offer is actually meant to be (I think) is:

$40 plan with $15 sports pack

The $15 sports pack is credited (free) each month 

The $40 plan has a 25% discount = $30 a month

FWIW I suspect this is what you will ultimately be billed. If not then ending the contract is should be straight forward as getting the "Minimum Total Cost" banner wrong is a pretty serious offence these days. Obviously Optus haven't put it there deliberately but even getting it wrong by accident is a huge no no. Left a screen shot below as the link will no doubt expire.

sshot-11.jpg

Note that Optus usually apply discounts in/by the sceond month of billing so your first month could still say $55 or perhaps $40

Just as an aside, note that the EPL $15 discount ends after 12 months (The 25% remains for 24 months so next October your bill will increase to $45 a month unless you end the sports subscription.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS In a nutshell I think the $495 figure is just a maths typo.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot, Peter. 

Should I just wait for the 1st month bill or call up to Optus to confirm on this? 

If your explanation is right, then I shouldnt be worried too much. 

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Up to you.

Hopefully a customer service person can confirm / re-assure you its $30 a month but plenty of posts here where that happens and the bill still needs sorting out down the track.

IMO If the $360 minimum cost turns out wrong then you can leave (it will cost you $20 or so extra over the next 2 months to confirm). Its a lot easier to talk to customer service when you're referring to actual bills.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Many thanks, Peter. 

You really help a lot in this forum.

Appreciate your infos and replied. 

I'll just wait for the bill. 

Thanks again 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors