cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Netgear Nighthawk M1

I want to know whether the Nighthawk M1 from Netgear wireless would be available with Optus contract in near future. I'm attracted by the new 4G mobile router. If not, I would consider to get unlocked one from oveasea market.  

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M1

Hello,

That device does not have Band 40 (2300Mhz) which makes up a huge amount of the network in capital cities.

So far the current offerings on Optus for 4g devices for broadband are Huawei (probably due to the agreements they have).

Optus are rolling out their "4.5g" networks over the next few years and new devices are expected.

End of the day - the Netgear Nighthawk M1 wont give you anything better than whats on offer at the moment.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
New Contributor bkrtron_oz
New Contributor

I was also looking at this little beast to see if it would help my speeds on Optus. 

Wouldn't it connect to the Optus 2600MHz - Band 7? Would that be quicker frequency? 

Sorry I'm not really in tune with mobile freqs and bands. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

So you mean the Nighthawk M1 may be an option in 4.5G contract?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The Nighthawk device does not have the required bands that Optus are using on 4.5G

2300Mhz makes up most of the frequency used for Optus's implimentation of 4.5G.

Telstra do not use 2300Mhz (besides a few test areas) so their device has no support for it.

Optus will release compatible devices for their network when they expand on 4.5G and of course once devices are ready for market.

Purchasing a device built specifically for another network and expecting it to work as it did on the other network is not the case with this device.

Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
New Contributor stefanicai
New Contributor

I understand that it won't be able to use the MIMO capability (as I'm guessing Optus doesn't support that yet) or the 4.5G connection (when that is available - due to 2300 band not being supported by the device), but if I'd be to use the Netgear Nighthawk M1 on the Optus network now, would that work at the current 4G plus network?

I'm using it in Melbourne CBD.

We use a mix of different networks based on which one has better coverage/reliability in specific areas, so I'm wondering if I could use the same device across networks. I'd imagine that when 4.5G is available, we'd need to get another modem, but it'd be good to be able to use this one cross networks for now.

Hope it makes sense.

Thanks,

Julian.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

The main component of the 4G Plus network is 2300Mhz.

As this device does not support it - then no - you wont be getting the speeds a compatible device would provide.

Occasional Contributor pacman3333
Occasional Contributor

HI

BEEN USING NIGHTHAWK M1 FOR 6 MTHS KNOW WORKS GRAET ON

OPTUS NETWORK,GETTING FROM 80MPS TO 130 MPS DOWN SPEED.

WORKS EVERYWHERE.BUY OUTRIGHT FROM JBHI OR

BUY A ATT MODEL FROM THE USA.

CHEERS

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor pacman3333
Occasional Contributor

HI

ALSO TRY THE NEW

Huawei E5788u-96a JUSTBEEN RELEASED

Band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/19/20/28/38/40/41/42

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Will Huawei E5788u-96a be available for Optus? Or should i buy the unlocked Huawei E5788u-96a from oversea market?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors