cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Sneako
Occasional Contributor

Netflix using my data

Curious thing is, I signed up for the mobile broadband package that allows me to stream Netflix and stan without using data yet whilst streaming netflix I'm watching my data being used?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Netflix using my data

Have you activated the free data offer in MYACCOUNT?

Are you watching Netflix in SD? (HD isn't free)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I don't have an sd account with Netflix....

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You can set Netflix to stream SD on any account (HD account just means you have the choice)

You can set video quality on the phone app.

You can also set globally it on your account page when you log into the NETFLIX site.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS You also can't 'throw' the netflix image to another screen for free (will also use data)

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I just ch coed on my app and it is set to standard

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I'm quite sure your app settings don't matter. As in, even if you have it set to the highest quality possible, Optus at a network level will limit it to 1.5Mbps which is SD so I wouldn't worry about that. Here's the FAQ I'm basing it on, specifically the line "If you stream through WiFi we won’t optimise your video." so to me they're saying we'll do stuff to your stream if your on our mobile network regardless of your settings but when you're not (i.e. WiFi) we won't touch it and Netflix will handle it. 

Q. What does the video quality look like on my device or when I'm on WiFi?

A. Video will be streamed in standard definition up to 1.5Mbps. This speed is for a single stream on mobile and tablet devices, so you enjoy your favourite movies and TV shows when you’re out and about. You might get some pixilation for the first 30 seconds or so of your stream as your app calibrates to the network. To get the best experience, we recommend you use the Mobile TV streaming services mobile and tablet apps and set the quality to “Auto”.

If you stream through WiFi we won’t optimise your video. The quality will vary depending on the app settings and your WiFi internet service provider. This may use data from your home internet plan.

You said you're "watching your data be used". How? My Optus App? Data usage meter on your phone? Usage SMS alerts? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

My portable modem has an LCD display that shows data usage 

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Can you link to the plan you signed up to? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@SamSam

That's surprising to me. I guess it explains why the service is Opt In rather than just activated automatically (I always wondered why anybody wouldn't want free streaming data - but forcing you to SD quality obviously doesn't appeal to some users)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Can't link it but the plan was the $70 month to month 100gb data and they told me Netflix and Stan won't use any data.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors