Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
estayte
New Contributor
New Contributor

My leased iPhone needs repair but I am overseas

I contracted this phone on a rental agreement on 6th January 2019 and on 12th March it stopped connecting to the Sim card.  The sim card will work in other phones but no one´s will work in mine.  I can connect to Wifi but not to my sim.  I took it to an iShop and they told me it couldn´t be fixed and that I needed to buy a new phone. 

I am not in Australia - I´m in Peru .... what can I do.  I still owe over $1000 on the phone and can´t afford to buy a new phone.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of problem.  Can it be fixed?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Apple iPhnXS 64SI

Hey there estayte,

The challenge here is you're overseas. For how long?

From our Removal of Leasing Plans thread:

What are my options if I've damaged the leased phone? 

If the phone is damaged you have a few options:

Early upgrade after 12 months – by paying a damage fee, returning the current phone and signing up to a new phone on an eligible handset plan. You can no longer upgrade to a new flex/leasing plan.

At the end of the minimum contract term (and any available additional months have lapsed) - return the phone and pay the applicable damage fee of up to $499 or make an offer to purchase the phone at fair market value (which we’ll advise at the time).

You can choose to pay to have the phone fixed. You need to have it repaired by Optus, a repairer approved by us, or by the phone manufacturer, and fees will vary depending on how damaged the phone is. Damage fees won’t be charged if the repair is covered by a manufacturer’s warranty or the Australian Consumer Law. If you do get the phone fixed by a repairer other than Optus, the manufacturer, or a repairer approved by Optus, you may be charged a damage fee when you return it to us.  

Not saying you've damaged it but basically it needs to be repaired by Optus, so you obviously need to be in the country to make that arrangement. If you've taken it to a shop there and they said it can't be fixed you would likely pay the damage fee and somehow return the phone.

Suggestion from here would be to contact Optus directly to discuss your options.

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos