Contributor
Contributor

Multiple Optus Support Staff not assisting in resolving wrongfully charged fees

Vicky ...user-id 64434

Aman_B ... user-id/ 0094

AlexRH ...  user-id 83277

Toomey ...  user-id 66672

Meg ...  user-id 19686

These are just some of the Optus support staff who have promised to follow up in ensuring I receive a refund of money charged by Optus endorsed "content providers" who, without my consent, charged for services I never agreed to, wanted, or would ever use.

I've also received quite contradictory messages and advice from seveal of them.

One of them told me to pay an earlier bill, minus about $60, so that's what I did.

Another tells me I've already been refunded, but when I asked 3 times for evidence (since I could not see any signs of a refund) did not reply to me.

Another tells me that I must pay the $60.

For months I've been trying to get this issue resolved, to no avail.

Now I'm getting warnings that my mobile phone account is going to be restricted.

It would be nice if I can find just ONE reliable Optus support person who actually follows through as promised.

All the above individuals have been terrible. Especially Aman_B and Vicky.

Of course, I've kept records of all their statements, complete with contradictory instructions and false promises.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
prodos
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Multiple Optus Support Staff not assisting in resolving wrongfully charged fees

(Message board said this message hadn't been posted, so I clicked again, and now it's been posted twice. This message board software is as unreliable as Optus "support" staff.)

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Multiple Optus Support Staff not assisting in resolving wrongfully charged fees

First up, pay your bill if at all possible.

Optus is a big company and one arm doesn't always know what the other arm is doing. One thing most companies get 'right' is reacting to you when you don't pay your bill. You may be in the right but that's not much help when they disconect your service and put entries in your National Credit Summary of non payment (which will happen pretty quickly).

So, pay the bill if its manageable. If you end up over paying a bill the money just shows as a credit towards the next months bill anyway.

As for the Premium SMS fee's, this is often a situation that is made more stressful by over involvement. I presume you have requested Optus set your Premium SMS limit to $0 now? After that request Optus refute the charge (Which again I assume you have done?)

The next part can take a little while to sort through but the results should appear on your bill as a credit. If not then call and request Optus refute the charges. It can be frustrating but there's no point spending hours on it. LIVE CHAT or  CALL and once they confirm the unauthorised fees on your bill and that they will refute them wait till your next bill.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

prodos
Contributor
Contributor

Howdy Peter,

Thanks for the sensible advice.

This whole thing has been going on for months, and every, single Optus "support" person has a different message and makes a new promise. So far, not a single promise has been kept. Not even something as basic as "we'll get back to you shortly".

It's not surprising really, that a company that allows SO MANY of its customers to be so easily scammed also has support staff who are so incredibly unreliable and unaccountable.

I presume you have requested Optus set your Premium SMS limit to $0 now? After that request Optus refute the charge (Which again I assume you have done?)

Yes, I've done both those things, thanks.

It can be frustrating but there's no point spending hours on it.

Well ... the thing that really gets me is what about those customers who, for instance, are elderly or foreigners? How many of them have been ripped off? I believe that those complaining about this issue here on this (and other) forums are just the tip of a very big iceberg. Someone should be locked up. That's what I'd like to see.

Anyway ... I'll pay the amount as you suggest, but when we get back to Melbourne, I know which unethical, unprofessional company my wife and I will NOT be using for our internet and phone services any more. That will be a good day.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Adza
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm starting to have the same issue. Asked a question on Sunday abotu a discount that hadn't been applied (which I signed up for)... support person was quick to reply, I PM'd them. Then when they claimed they couldn't find the offer I had signed up for and the onus on me was to provide proof in the form of a screenshot of the offer. I found the proof sitting on their own website on Monday and suddenly no further correspondence.

It's not difficult to do good customer service.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Definitely complain as you have. Telstra have just announced they'll be scrapping Premium SMS in a few months. 

In the old days, before smart phones existed, premium SMS provided some guenuinely used features. Now everyone uses an APP to intereact with the world. Premium SMS is now predominantly used by scammers IMO. 

The sad part of it is that Premium SMS must be generating stuff all revenue for Optus anymore (and any they do get is largely ill gotten anyway). Yet they're willing to cop all the negative reactions for it (and there are a lot on this forum alone).

Hopefully the weight of complaints will eventually see Optus drop this scheme and the many silent victims (who either don't notice or find its too hard to resolve) can stop being ripped off.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

prodos
Contributor
Contributor

Adza, sorry to hear about how you've been stuffed around.

There's something deeply wrong with Optus customer service culture or training or staff incentives or whatever.

"It's not difficult to do good customer service."

My thought exactly!

Hope everything worked out for you in the end!

0 Kudos
prodos
Contributor
Contributor

Peter,

"... eventually see Optus drop this scheme ...."

I'm truly perplexed about why ANY company would allow its customers to be treated like this for even a moment.

It's rotten to the core. Not to mention, highly self-destructive.

Thanks again for your advice, earlier.

If Optus & its staff -- who get PAID -- provided a fraction of the reliable help that its unpaid, (shrinking) customer base provide on this forum, they wouldn't be earning all this ill will. Terrible!

0 Kudos