Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
FiledinPenske
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Moving off family plan

Hi Contributors
I have two questions. Will post separately. I’ve been with optus since 1994. Still waiting for that thanks for the loyalty free anything!
My mobile plan (bundled plan and phone with extra $30 charge for son to share data and have SIM card for data/text) has long ago expired. Work want me to do on the Telstra the corporate plan. So do I - I won’t have to pay foe my phone anymore!
However what do I do about my son?. Can he get a $30 plan? He once had an Aldi pay as you go card and I was always topping that up. Painful. And then he would lose the number too? He is starting Uni and uses lots of data but doesn’t text much.
Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
6 Replies
FiledinPenske
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Moving off family plan

I should have said I’m happy for him to stay with Optus .. I’m not aware though they would offer him the same foe $30...
0 Kudos
Casey_YC

Hi there, @FiledinPenske

Thanks for getting in touch about your mobile plan.

It sounds like you may possibly have a data share SIM set up for your son's service. If it's $30/mth for it and it has it's own data inclusions, then it's possible it won't be cancelled if your mobile is ported to Telstra. 

However, if it's a data share SIM using only the data inclusion from your mobile plan, then if yours is cancelled it will have nothing to use as part of the sharing portion. 

We do have SIM only plans available starting at $39/mth or our Prepaid mobile plans have various options available, depending on the usage requirements your son would have. 

If you wish to chat further, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

When you cancel your plan then your son's will remain as is (presumably in your name on the bill?). His data allowance is probably only 1-2Gb for that $30 while your plan would have provided the big amount.

There are some excellent options (probably costing lest than $30 a month but the big question you need to answer is how much data does you son expect to need each month? 10Gb? 30Gb? 60Gb?

Tell us that and we can suggest some options (and yes he can keep his number)
0 Kudos
FiledinPenske
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Looking at him chewing through it on the sofa right now .. the sky is the limit. Once I get home broadband back on... I would say.. 30gb. He gets all his data from my plan. There is another sim on my plan provided when I set him up..which he has never used nor do I understood what it is for...
0 Kudos
Aman_YC

Hi @ FILEDINPENSKE - Thanks for your reply. 

With regards to relocation I'd advise calling our relocation team at 1300 555 241 anytime after 8AM tomorrow and let them know of the situation.

The staff will submit your relocation order and also give you a tentative date of the connection. With regards to the NBN equipment, they  might be able to raise a NBN fault as well with details so that a NBN tech can come and replace the hardware.  Please do  let them know of the equipment that's missing. 

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So basically if you stay with Optus post paid (as he is currently on) then he'll just need to transition to one of the standard post paid plans. Easy enough but they're pricey. He could have 60Gb for $50 a month.

Another option is move onto a long term prepaid (12 months). These are better value for example Boost $300 for $328 Gb (a year). Or $25 for 30Gb a month. The nice thing about these plans is you can use 5Gb one month and 50Gb the next. Just average it out and use wifi when possible.

https://boost.com.au/shop/300-prepaid/
0 Kudos