Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

Mobile promotions only want NEW service/customers? screw the loyal postpaid customers!

SamT2017

Hi team,

Is it me, or is Optus only interested in getting new customers, with zero interest in maintain existing one? 

As in the past few months, i've noticed various EOFY mobile promotions which all state its for existing customers with NEW numbers (eg not suited for someone who needs a contract renewal)... Given i have an ABN and also 5 postpaid services, with 3 that's off contract. I was hoping to make the most out of these promotions and sign up for another 12 months with the extra bandwidth and/or 25% discount. But instead Optus is proposing that i simply disconnect my service, move to someone else instead...and one day come back as a NEW customer or new service?   I believe this is very shorted sighted for their product team to not look at long term customer growth and satisfaction but rather only seem to care about trying to boost 'numbers. 

Regards,

Very unhappy customer. 

Re: Mobile promotions only want NEW service/customers? screw the loyal postpaid customers!

Barfly

This is a problem that is not unique to Optus.

Big business is all about the stats.  And we all know that stats can be made to say anything the user wants.

The term 'net growth' hides the fact that hordes of victims (errmmm customers) left the business by focussing on the number of new suckers (errmm customers) that have joined.  What the stats don't show is that maintaining and upselling an existing customer costs (on average) around half what it costs to attract and entice a new customer.  If all the existing customers are happy, spending more and don't leave, but no new customers join this is not considered growth.  Even though income may be much higher.

I don't know about you, but I'm not interested in all the fancy gimmicks.  I don't care about premier league soccer, or cheap movie tickets.  I just want a great base product, at a decent price, and something that at least looks like customer service.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
What do I know? I'm just a paying customer.

Re: Mobile promotions only want NEW service/customers? screw the loyal postpaid customers!

Aman_B

So sorry on our late reply to your post @SamT2017, we've been really busy lately! I hope that since posting you've been able to get in touch with someone to help out with this? If you’d like to chat to one of our team members now, please go here: http://yesopt.us/chat2us

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Aman_B

Hi @ Barfly, this isn't really what we like to hear & I'm sorry this is the case. All our new plans and offers are available and there's not much we can do to change these. This is because the plans are already heavily discounted. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

SamT2017

Hi Aman, thanks for getting back. Yes I've spoken to optus chat 4 times yesterday and about 5 times about two weeks ago (as it's always a handball me to the right area who can help me)... in both cases it was by phone and also via chat. And were not much help as they're bound by the 'product' offered and not allowed to break the rules. 

Unfortunately they've flat out said they cannot do anything for an existing customers with an existing optus mobile.

So the suggestion from chat team I've had so far, is to disconnect the service (port to another provider), and come back (port again)... which does become a compelling idea...however not quite sure whether i'd bother coming back ... 

Honestly, I'm not asking for special discounts / preferable treatment...I'm just asking to join a plan that is being offered a new Optus customers! 

[ Edited ]
BV

Sam, I had exactly this with Vodafone as a customer for over 13 years. I wanted to re-contract and get a new phone as offered to new customers and was met with the same refusal and effectively told "if you don't like it, leave". So I did.

After my attempts to reason with them were ignored, I signed up to a competitor for 24 months and a shiny new Galaxy SII. Only then did I get hounded by Vodafone's retention team, offering me all sorts of incentives to stay - in fact they even bettered the 'new customer' deal I was originally after. But it was too late - not because I'd signed up with someone else, they'd destroyed all goodwill I had with them and now I won't deal with Vodafone again.

I hope you get somewhere with Optus without having to play such silly games.

SamT2017

Hey BV,

After talking to like 5 offshore, and finally landing on a local person in the rentention team who've told me ..unfortuantely that's the way the 'Optus product/plans' have been setup and there's not much they can do to 'break' the rules / plans / policies.

He kindly offered me 25% discount on one of my existing mobile plans (no contract renewal needed). 

I want to re-new my 3 other expired mobile plans given the newer plans offer more data. However it means locking myself in for 12 months for an 1.5G of extra data which seems pointless given the new customer promos were significantly more with 25% off plus other bonuses. So for now i'm just sitting tight til November when all my contracts are finished, then move all mobile services to Telstra to play the 'porting' game. 

Looks like Optus is no different to Vodafone so far with these silly games ... 

BV

When you read through some of threads here, it seems they can offer existing customers the same deal as new customers, but they make a choice whether or not the existing customer is "worth it".

4th Oct 2014, 12:48pm

"The sales person was only able to offer the exact same deal online (that a new optus customer would receive). I asked to be put through to the retention team ... the only offer the retention team could offer me was.......the exact same deal that was available online for a new customer."

Dave from Optus responds:

"the offers that our retention team offer vary from customer to customer. These guys complete an individual assessment of each customer that calls through prior to any offer being made."

A bit like the Democrats in the US election, willing to lose existing voters in the chase for new voters : “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.” And as we saw, that worked out just great for them Smiley Happy

I guess once they shed a few too many customers, they'll about turn and announce some bold new plan to become more 'customer centric'.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
127 Kudos
124 Kudos
100 Kudos
85 Kudos
56 Kudos