Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Mobile plan, wifi and Optus Sports

I have an Optus plan with 1Gb data per month. I am interested in Optus Sports ahead of the Football World Cup. If I use my mobile I will use up data way too fast.

My home internet connection is not through Optus but another provider.

As an Optus customer can I use my home WiFi to access Optus Sports if my home WiFi is through another provider?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Mobile plan, wifi and Optus Sports

Are you talking about using the Optus Sport Subscription with your phone? Then the answer would be no.

You can buy a monthly Optus Sport Subscription for $15 that you can stream using your other RSP link. That would work with many devices.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you very much. I suspected that might be the case, but its good to hear there's some benefit in being an Optus mobile customer with respect to the World Cup coverage

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I think I interpretted this a little different to Peter so throwing my 2 cents in.

You can purchase an Optus Sport subscription tied to your Optus Mobile (although this is no longer necessary as non Optus customers can now purchase it anyway) and then watch it on your Optus mobile while connected to your home WiFi through another provider.

Also, you should note that when watching Optus Sport on your Optus mobile away from home, it won't count towards your 1GB monthly limit. They call it "data free" so you shouldn't have any issues getting access for the world cup no matter which option you go with. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@SamSam,

Sounds about right. The only thing I'd add is that when you purchace the external $15 option you can watch it on any supported device, Smart TV, etc. In all cases though you will use your providers data.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

@petergdownload@SamSam

Thanks guys! Solid advice there. 

For anyone else that comes across this thread, I thought I'd mention the following: 

Whether you've signed up to Optus Sport via the app store or you've received a subscription as a plan benefit, you'll have access to the exact same content. That includes the World Cup and all content broadcast thereafter. 

You'll be able to stream Optus Sport on all supported devices/browsers.

You can find out list of supported devices/browsers here

It's already been mentioned, but I'll clarify again. If you've signed up to a mobile plan which includes Optus Sport, streaming via the mobile app will be unmetered. 

You can even hotspot from your mobile.

Streaming Optus sport over  another providers network will count towards your data usage allowance.

If you have any other questions, give us a shout @ALFresco

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos