Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
steve1948
New Contributor
New Contributor

Mobile phone recharge question

I have a mobile phone I bought last year and have recharged it since then - I have $53 credit already on it - when I checked my credit balance via 555 I was told there was $53 credit BUT I would have to recharge it again before April 8th, 2020 to keep this current number

I usually do that at Woolworths - as I rarely use this phone as it is only for emergencies I want to keep my number but I don't need to add extra credit at this point as I don't need it

Why am I being told I have to recharge before 8th april ?

Stephen

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Mobile phone recharge question

All prepaid services are like with every carrier.

Its their way of ensuring that there is still money coming in to keep the service active.

Its best to think of it more as a line rental fee that includes free call credits rather then the other way around.

If you only use it for emergencies then your might be better of looking for a cheaper long term plan elsewhere. (keep in mind that you will loose tour credits, so you have to think in terms of long-term cost rather than short-term loss.

0 Kudos
steve1948
New Contributor
New Contributor

Many thanks for your quick reply

I had no idea when we bought this phone that we would lose the credit within a set time unless we had used it up - I did explain to Optus at the time I only wanted it for emergency use

This means that if I top it up with $30 then I will have $83 credit to use up within 6 months so I am more unlikely to use this and would love that credit otherwise - very unsatisfactory situation and I think Optus should explain to people more clearly especially when they are elderly and have never had a mobile phone before

I only got it when the NBN came through and we had no phone for over a month - otherwise I wouldn't have spent the money buying it in the first place - I don't think I got a very good deal out of it but as you say this is common amongst other carriers - not really good enough I don't think

thank you for your help

Steve

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@steve1948 wrote:

This means that if I top it up with $30 then I will have $83 credit to use up within 6 months so I am more unlikely to use this

Its like any service you buy, all you can do is guess how much you thing you will use/need that service in the given service period and decide if it is worth it.

There is for example a $10 plan from Amaysim that last 365. So you should look around at the various long term/365 day plans that the various telcos have and not just compare the annual cost, but the per minute costs and whether or not the call credits expire on a recharge.

So if you find a plan that you like you can potentially bring your cost down from $60 per year to $10.

I only got it when the NBN came through and we had no phone for over a month - otherwise I wouldn't have spent the money buying it in the first place

Well if that was your reason for getting it then then there is no reason to renew it as your NBN is up and running. But realistically its always useful to have a backup phone just in case especially now that the land line is tied to the internet, and if the internet goes down so does your land line.

In case you are not aware, in a real emergency if you need to call 000 you can do that from any mobile phone even if you have no credit on the phone. You don't even have to have an active service or even a SIM in the phone to make 000 calls.

0 Kudos
steve1948
New Contributor
New Contributor

I had no idea you could still ring 000 in an emergency if you had no credit left as no one had mentioned it - everyone seems to assume we should know all this but if you have never had a mobile phone before of course you have no idea - my wife & I are elderly and we bought the simplest phone possible so we could understand it - even then it was a struggle to master and still is some days

Maybe we could just charge with $30 and make sure we use it in 6 months as occasionally our home phone drops out when the NBN goes down - it is ridiculous of them to tie the phone into the internet & it has caused major problems for some people

I will check out the Amaysim you mentioned as never heard of them before

Thank you so much for your reply as it was very helpful

Steve

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@steve1948 wrote:

I had no idea you could still ring 000 in an emergency if you had no credit left as no one had mentioned it - everyone seems to assume we should know all this but if you have never had a mobile phone before of course you have no idea 

This is one of those thing that if its mentioned at all its tucked away in the fine print somewhere, so it would not surprise me if a lot of people not know about it.

my wife & I are elderly and we bought the simplest phone possible so we could understand it - even then it was a struggle to master and still is some days

Its not surprising at all. A lot of elderly people are like that because they haven't been brought up with "modern technology" in their younger years.

Maybe we could just charge with $30 and make sure we use it

If you make use of it then great, but I don't think you should think of it as going to waste if you don't manage to use it all, or even any of it. Its there for a backup and a some piece of mind.

@steve1948 wrote:

it is ridiculous of them to tie the phone into the internet & it has caused major problems for some people

Totally agree, but that's "progress" for ya 🤣.

As most people these days have mobile phones its not too much of a problem especially because most people seem to have post paid plans with unlimited calls. Its people like ourselves that are on low end or pre paid plans where mobile calls costs are expensive because we are just casual users.

I will check out the Amaysim you mentioned as never heard of them before

I just had a bit of a look around (its been a very long time since I've looked into 365 day plans) and I'd recommend the $15 AldiMobile over the $10 Amaysim , not just because the individual call costs are a little cheaper in general, but because calls to 13/1300 numbers are significantly cheaper at 12c/min vs 29c/min , and if your internet and land line goes down you may be stuck on a 13 support call for a while.

Thank you so much for your reply as it was very helpful

Your'e welcome.

0 Kudos
steve1948
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am slowly getting the hang of it - will get there eventually

Everyone has been so helpful with explaining things so I can understand - looks like I was very confused but it is now much clearer

thanks for all your help as it is very much appreciated

Steve

0 Kudos