My mobile phone service doesn't work at all, doesn't connect to network. I need it for work and personal. How to get it fixed? Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman? Get a lawyer? Spoken to Optus more than 10 times, giving false reassurances each time.
Order of events:
1. Spoke to Optus regarding a change of ownership from a corporate account to a consumer account so I could keep my mobile number. Was offered the 25% discount on the $40 SIM only plan. CHOWN form provided to me on 23-November including fax number for it to be sent in. My former employer sent it in and we waited and waited.
2. After countless calls to Optus and being transferred across departments, on 2-January I was advised the form had to be emailed, not faxed (contrary to what was written on the form and noted to me).
3. My former company emailed the form in, and on Tues 9-Jan my phone went out of service for 5 hours. On Wed 10-Jan I got a text from Optus: "Great news your mobile service is active". I contacted Optus to check what Plan I was on, to learn it was a month-by-month plan. I requested to change to the $40 SIM only plan. Was advised I couldn't get the 25% discount anymore, as the last day was 3-Jan. I requested re-consideration given I missed the cut-off due to mistake of Optus telling me to Fax the form, when needed to be emailed. Discount not given, seems unreasonable, paying for Optus mistake. Complaint with TIO pending.
4. 11-Jan, phone went out of service for an hour or two. Text message: "Your change of ownership has been completed and changed to your requested plan".
5. 12-Jan: phone went out of service for about an hour in the morning. Then out of service again from 1:30pm, and has't reconnected since then (more than 24 hours). Contacted Optus technical support and other departments 3 times. First time was told to wait 4 hours as activation was pending. Didn't happen. Contacted again via online help today 13-Jan at 10am. Staff told me they had arranged for activation and would take 15mins-4 hours. Has now been 5 hours.
Other strange events:
1. Text messages received, had to setup voicemail 3 times. Keeps deleting my service.
2. Keep getting Optus messages "welcome to Optus sport", "we've received your order for Mobile TV streaming", "we've received your order for Music streaming". I haven't asked for anything of these things. Is optus secure?
3. I've had 6 x 1-ring calls from 02 8049 6150 and 02 8049 2850 on Thu and Fri, since the new account. Is optus secure, what is this?
Solved! Solved: Go to Solution.
>>2. Keep getting Optus messages "welcome to Optus sport", "we've received your order for Mobile TV streaming", "we've received your order for Music streaming". I haven't asked for anything of these things. Is optus secure?
Unmetered stuff comes with the plan. TV is unmetered Netflix/Stan/iView. Most people want it, so they can download 40GB
Thanks for replies.
I've been at the phone when those calls came in. It was 1-ring. Optus needs to fix their phone 😉
Not a concern now as I cant receive any calls from anyone now.
Love your username "Evil Empire" although I feel it should be reserved for Optus itself!
I feel your pain, see my thread:
Love to know if you come up with an idea! Maybe all those affected in a similar way could put together a class action or at least a group complaint to the TIO?? Any solicitors out there??
My brother in pain. Reading your log was like when you read a book and it articulates a concept in your life more clearly than you had been able to put into words before. Please let me know how you go and thanks for reaching out.
My conclusions are:
1. Optus is fractured and not well connected across departments and perhaps has no processes.
2. It seems the consultants mislead you, just to get rid of you. Telling you it will be done in 4 hours, so that in 4 hours its another consultants problem. Theres no path of escalation.
3. It seems porting to Optus is wrought with issues. My case was Optus corporate to Optus personal account. Has anyone found a solution when they got stuck? Are there unsolvable cases that got stuck forever? Is it actually possible to port to Optus?
How to get it fixed:
1. Of the various consultants I spoke to (good job noting their names haha), I've been told to contact change of ownerships (specific to my case), after sales support, or activations. All of which have limited operating hours, and its hard to call them with no working phone and the massive wait times required to get through. I had hoped to find a special 'delta force' team that cracks these messed up cases. No such luck.
2. Considered I could get a brand new account from Optus, then I could atleast can make calls and have internet when outside and possibly get my old phone number temporarily forwarded to it. I wonder they could then somehow switch the number to the new account and close the old account. Or just do this as a temporary solution if its gonna take 12-months to get the original account ready.
3. PORT the number away from Optus. A clean break.
Thanks for the tip about where to log a complaint online. Although I feel pretty certain that all messages ticked as a complaint through that portal disappear into the round file, it was nice to be able to log something without taking 2 hours to do so!
Yet no result for me...stay tuned and good luck!
Hey @Evil_Empire, this certainly sounds confusing I'm sorry for all the issues getting assistance. If you still need a hand, send me your phone number, full name and DOB via private message. I'll check your account notes and get back to you asap.
Ooop, you just beat me to it. I'll check it out and get back to you there asap