cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor LHI
New Contributor

Mobile data usage sms

Why do I get an sms to notify me of my mobile data usage at 2.19 am when I'm asleep, when I hadn't used any data since 8pm the previous night, 6 hours earlier?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mobile data usage sms

The data usage reporting can often have significant delays and this can lead to unwanted text messages at all hours of the morning. The suggestion I made recently to another person with the same issue was to change the notification to email via the Optus account portal.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Yeldarb Good suggestion.

When are Optus data usage alerts sent

Postpaid usage alerts are sent out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Alerts are not generated in real-time and a delay of up to 48 hours may be experienced.

You can also customise or opt-out of usage (not that'wed suggest that) alerts by logging in to My Account.

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor LHI
New Contributor

Thanks for your advice.

I already have my notifications set to email only in the My Account settings.

New Contributor LHI
New Contributor

Thanks for your response. I have my notifications set to email only but besides that, my main point was why would sms notifications be sent out in the middle of the night rather than at a reasonable hour EST, especially if there is a delay anyway.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No problems well that should stop the wakeup calls at all hours if the morning. I would suggest that some might argue that delaying the usage reporting even further may put people further into debt especially if they have exceeded their data limit. I also dont know what the ramifications would be sending thousands of sms alerts all at one time assuming they set the earliest notification time at say 8am.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors