cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Mobile data usage sms

Why do I get an sms to notify me of my mobile data usage at 2.19 am when I'm asleep, when I hadn't used any data since 8pm the previous night, 6 hours earlier?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mobile data usage sms

The data usage reporting can often have significant delays and this can lead to unwanted text messages at all hours of the morning. The suggestion I made recently to another person with the same issue was to change the notification to email via the Optus account portal.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Yeldarb Good suggestion.

When are Optus data usage alerts sent

Postpaid usage alerts are sent out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Alerts are not generated in real-time and a delay of up to 48 hours may be experienced.

You can also customise or opt-out of usage (not that'wed suggest that) alerts by logging in to My Account.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your advice.

I already have my notifications set to email only in the My Account settings.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your response. I have my notifications set to email only but besides that, my main point was why would sms notifications be sent out in the middle of the night rather than at a reasonable hour EST, especially if there is a delay anyway.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No problems well that should stop the wakeup calls at all hours if the morning. I would suggest that some might argue that delaying the usage reporting even further may put people further into debt especially if they have exceeded their data limit. I also dont know what the ramifications would be sending thousands of sms alerts all at one time assuming they set the earliest notification time at say 8am.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors