cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Kirstin27
New Contributor

Mobile data usage calc incorrect

I have three SIMS linked to my account.  Optus advised we had used all of the mobile data less than half way through the month - very different to our normal useage that is within the package limit.  We have turned off mobile data on all three phones and are only turning it on to make short wifi calls between us.  We have also set all apps to only use wifi not mobile data except whatsapp and facetime.  I reset the current period on all 3 devices so I could properly monitor the data being used - so far we have used about 200mb yet Optus is continuously sending me texts to say we have used an additional GB every day!! Has anyone else experienced this issue?  I tried to use online chat but the girl had zero idea what I was talking about....

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mobile data usage calc incorrect

So you have 3 iPhones data pooled and starting a new billing period you have reset the data usage and you have only used approximately 200MB combined? How much combined data do you have per month?

Edit: I assume they are iPhones or iPads given they have Facetime.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Kirstin27
New Contributor

Yes - 3 iphones data pooled.  I am part way through a billing period that resets on the 16th.  I have been advised by text that we have used over our data limit so used the iphone function in Settings/Mobile to Reset Statistics (very bottom of page) on all three phones.  This then restarts the tradking of the data useage against each app and gives a total used since I reset.  This does not match the useage that Optus seems to be charging me for.  I don't know how to challenge Optus about these charges as when I used the chat function the girl couldn't understand what I was talking about.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The data meter has a delay of up to 4 hours. Assuming you calculated for this when you reset the stats on your phones then the combined data should be the same as what Optus is reporting. If the data doesn't match then I would think that's all you need to challenge them. Unfortunately you may need to try a few calls to support before you get someone who understands what you are talking about.

Top Contributors