Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Bekadu
New Contributor
New Contributor

Mobile broadband

I'm about to move to a new house and it appears that I can't get broadband at the new premises, not sure why or how long it might take before it gets there.  In the meantime I thought about mobile broadband.  Now I already have an Optus prepaid accout so don't really need a new SIM.  Can I attach the broadband modem to my existing number?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_YC

Re: Mobile broadband

Hey @Bekadu - thanks for the great question here.

Have our team assessed the connection for you as yet to advise a rough ETA with NBN for your home internet? If you pop them a message on the My Optus App, they'll be able to check and update you on this.

In relation to the Prepaid and the Broadband modem, can you clarify the situation with this?

All our Mobile Broadband plans can be shared with our Postpaid plans, but not our Prepaid plans.

The other option is our 4G Home Internet plans which is a modem with a 4G SIM card inside, utilising our 4G Network.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Bekadu
New Contributor
New Contributor

I've been working with Telstra to try to get connected via cable to the NBN network.  The new address did not appear in the NBN database.  Just today I checked and got a different response - that NBN was not available and I should consider other options such as mobile broadband.  Since I have my mobile phone with Optus, I came here to see what could be done.

I don't know if this is likely to be the state of affairs for a long time or just a week or two.  But I am not really tech savvy especially about mobile phones so was trying to see what was possible and whether I thought I could cope, since my children are not allowed to visit at the moment to set me up!

0 Kudos
Steven_YC

@Bekadu - if the new address did not appear in NBN's database, either us or Telstra (Whomever you prefer) can submit a request to see what is happening. Generally from this response, we're able to determine what is going on and what the rough time frame looks like. I should mention that in rare circumstances, a time frame is not always given.

Do you mind sharing a snippet of what you use your service(s) for? If you can fill the below without specifics, that would be great and help me understand a roughly what may be of interest.

Do you use the services for work or leisure, or both?

How many people will be using the Internet?

How many devices will be connected? (Cameras, Cloud videos/images,  WiFi Vaccums/fridges, etc)

What do you watch and how long per day?

Do your children watch videos that require internet? If so, for how long?

Just for clarity, you don't need to be bang on or list specifics, just a guess will do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@BekaduIf the NBN does not show you can get NBN I would NOT NOT NOT advice trying Optus as you will get a run around and get very frustrated.

As for 4G if you do not have the Optus One plan from last year I would NOT try to ask Optus about getting a second SIM etc as it will cost you an arm and leg.

If you want a cheap way of geting 4G as a stop gap measure check out the coles and/or woolies weekly catalogs on the internet and see what SIM cards are on special and buy one to try on a spare phone.

If you do get 4G from Optus be aware that they will like other service providers not be able to help if you have issues with the connectivity between the modem and the tower, unless the tower has been flagged as faulty (Every time I raise an issue that the tower is playing up I either get "it's your equipment" or "we are doing maintenance" after I raise the issue and the equipment is supplied by Optus).

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Bekadu,

It is a bit strange NBN isn't available (or can't be set up - its usually a flat $300 fee for a new property). If you can post a street name and post code we can have a look in the general area (doesn't have to be your street just one in the general area)

In the meantime if you're not technical savvy the I'd suggest the Optus 4G modem is the quickest, easiest and cheapest option. Go to this page:

https://www.optus.com.au/broadband-nbn/4g-home-internet/zte/mf289d

Type your address in and confirm Optus 4G is available. If you can then I would suggest you probably don't use a lot of data so pick the 200Gb option for now. You can switch to 500Gb later on request if you decide you need more.

The important trick is to pick the 24 month contract and not go month to month. I realise this seems backwards but with Optus 4G mobile you are up for the $200 cost of the modem. On month to month you owe the full $200 on day one. On the 24 month contract Optus will reduce the amount you owe by $8 each month (eventually to $0 after 24 months).

You may find the 4G service is plenty for your needs in which case stick with it for a few years. Or you may want to switch to NBN when it becomes available in 3, 6, 18 months? In that situation you simply cancel the 4G plan and pay out the residual for the modem which will be something less than the $200 upfront cost. The nice thing is there's no cancellation fees so there's no other costs involved.

Setting up the modem is extremely simply. It gets delivered. Plug it in and turn it on. It should have an ethernet port for a cable to connect to some devices like a PC or you can just use its wifi with everything.

Bekadu
New Contributor
New Contributor

You're right, NBN should be available - it goes right past the door!  But it's a new house and for some reason has not got onto NBN's database yet.  It may be only a matter of a week or so without internet (annoying but bearable) or it may be longer in which case it has been suggested that mobile broadband may be best.  I was just researching what I can do, while I wait for Telstra to respond and tell me how long it will be.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its your RSPs job to sort the NBN database.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/missingaddress

Suggest you just hit the Aussie Broadband website now and use their chat session (They're on that site above just don't confuse them with Australia Broadband).

They're very good when it comes to organising the NBN (Optus tend to let the customer keep having to contact them to keep any process in motion). They do month to month contracts only so you can possibly be online in a few days and then decide where you want to move to (if at all). Once on the NBN switching RSPs is just a quick call to the new one and about 30 minutes downtime.

Bekadu
New Contributor
New Contributor

I did ring Aussie Broadband early in the process but was told they couldn't do anything because the address wasn't on the NBN database.  I had quite a run around from everyone for a while but finally spoke to Telstra in a chat session and got them onto trying to get me on the database.  They have given me a reference no.  and promised me an email when they get a response from NBN.  This is likely to take about 3 weeks from the time of my request, so perhaps another week yet!

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Weird. Just had a chat with their support myself and it took some prompting to get to the point where they agreed its their task and that they can help. They definitely suggested ringing and not webchat.

"Okay , there is a chance the address may be listed as another address in the NBN system and will need general search or if it was ADSL before and was not registered when NBN switched over we may be able to assist with the process. "

"I would recommend calling and possibly even asking to speak to a level 2 or a team leader if they would like to be sure ."

Your choice if you want to get ABB involved again as well as Telstra (IMO it can't hurt).

Seems the process is underway though. Getting onto the NBN the first time is often tricky. After that jumping around is a breeze.