Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Mobile billing

Prior plans we had 20GB of data between 2. This was sufficient and occasionally would go over. Hence a choice was made to change plans and increase data. Now at 50GB shared between two. Ussage has remained the same. Since upgrading the plans with optus the data usage magically increases up to the new 50GB and some how in the last week of each billing cycle the usage sometimes doubles to ensure an extra ten dollars or more.

I would sign this extremely concerned and mystified.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Mobile billing

Are you streaming data like Netflix? 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Netflix and Spotify is most likely not included in the data limit as it's not counted.

Pretty much everything else is.

I'd strongly consider checking the applications you're using, turning on the data usage monitor on your phone to track how much an application is using and if you use your phone as a hotspot, consider changing your password.

Highlighted
Blog Author

Good afternoon!

It could come down to a couple of things (not saying all of which apply in your situation) 

Was it a major upgrade? For example, a newer handset, such as recent flagship? Has there been any improvement with your 4G data speed? If you use a number of streaming applications, by default the quality settiing is set to automatic. Therefore, streaming apps decide what quality setting is based based on your internet connection. If you have a fast data connection, you'll automatically stream in HD. 

New bigger phone for example, use more data for tasks like downloading a video or images.

- Switch off Automatic quality configuration

- Switch off all automatic app dates

- Turn off WiFi assist (If you have it) 

- Switch off Background app refresh

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Good afternoon!

It could come down to a couple of things (not saying all of which apply in your situation) 

Was it a major upgrade? For example, a newer handset, such as recent flagship? Has there been any improvement with your 4G data speed? If you use a number of streaming applications, by default the quality settiing is set to automatic. Therefore, streaming apps decide what quality setting is based based on your internet connection. If you have a fast data connection, you'll automatically stream in HD. 

New bigger phone for example, use more data for tasks like downloading a video or images.

- Switch off Automatic quality configuration

- Switch off all automatic app dates

- Turn off WiFi assist (If you have it) 

- Switch off Background app refresh

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos