cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor Sezi15
New Contributor

Mobile Excess Data Usage - Unexplained 8gb used in 3 days??!!

I really need some help guys. 

Since I got my new iPhone 7 in January, my data usage has been exceeding its 7gb limit monthly.

Slowly at first, but in the last month it's gotten out of control and no one can tell me where my phone is using this data?? 

I'm on wifi network at home and at work, so it's only when I'm out and about that I'm actually using my allocated data.

I use my phone no more than the average person - majority of that time is mostly Facebook and Instagram scrolling, Googling the odd general question, using Google Maps for sporadic short trips (20mins max) and checking emails through the Email app. 

I have rung Optus several times about the issue and neither they nor anyone in the Optus store can help me identify where the data is being used. They have 'never seen this before'...

Last weekend according to my Optus records I used 8gb over the three days?!?! I was at home for most of the weekend! How is this happening?? I refuse to pay one more $160 bill! Please help!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

I have screenshots of the data breakdown - I just don't know how I upload them here? Let me know if there's a way. I would appreciate any assistance. 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Crowd Champion caaf
Crowd Champion

Re: Mobile Excess Data Usage - Unexplained 8gb used in 3 days??!!

Hey there,

Data counters these days are accurate and if a miscounted event happens it's generally a global thing..

Not paying your bill would be fruitless and not recommended as all it will do is affect your bottom line/credit history.

Have you checked to see if WiFi assist is on? Scroll to the bottom? I assume you've looked at what's using data? Settings, Mobile. 

Have you closed an open app (double tapping home button and swiping up) and power cycled the phone?

Being a device that connects to the internet at a high Mb/s an video/audio stream with a variable bit rate would be allowing the best quality connection, thing like Facebook that auto play would be high usage.

Hopefully not to blurring but but the photo below shows the icon to upload pics.

Image 2.jpg

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Sezi15
New Contributor

Hi Dave,

Appreciate your response.

Wifi assist is off and I always close open apps - several times a day. I was advised by an Optus Customer Service rep over the phone to change that setting as well as ensuring that whenever I'm connected to wifi, that I turn off mobile data too. She 'guaranteed' this would fix the issue. So I did what she requested - two days later I 'used' 8gb.

image1 (2).JPG

image2 (1).PNG

I have literally tried everything except turning all my apps off and literally turning each one on as I use it - which was the only recommendation I was offered by Optus to help the issue.

My question is, could anyone explain where this data is being used so I may be able to fix it - kill it etc What is Google Generic??

Someone has to know where this is coming from???

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The data usage breakdown in the Optus is quite useful but for these purposes I'd say forget about it. Built into your phone is a data usage meter that's far more specific and will help you determine what's going on. I don't have an iPhone so the specific steps to get there I'm not sure of but it'll be in your settings, likely under mobile/cellular data.

This section will break it down into the specific apps that are using it. The annoying thing with iPhones is you need to reset the counter so the data you'll see immediately won't be of much help because it'll be from when you first bought the phone rather then for your billing cycle. Find this counter though, take a look at the data there as you may see that 1 particular app is using a lot and then reset. Then use that to monitor your usage and I bet you'll find the culprit.

I know it's difficult but chances are Optus are getting the data right. They don't need to break it down for their customers but certainly attempt to with the breakdown you see in the app. It's really down to the end user (you) to control it but with the way apps work these days it gets really hard. The usage meter I've mentioned above will really help though 🙂

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Crowd Champion caaf
Crowd Champion

As I ask, in my post to take a look at what's using data on the phone itself.. I guess if the OP resets the counter it shouldn't take long to get a result what's chewing through the wallet!

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Yeah definitely agree. It's a lot better then the Optus app, although Optus providing the info they do is good. I don't think other carriers do.

Will be interesting to see what's using it though, I want to know what google generic is!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
New Contributor Russgra
New Contributor

Are you running a iOS 11 public beta by any chance?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Burgy
New Contributor

Hi, I also have unexplained data loss, over 2GB in under 40 minutes. I received multilple data use warnings from Optus during this time at $10 charge each time! I asked Optus to help and a guy said to turn off the data! I simply was doing a minor bank transaction online for about 20 minutes. Optus are now looking into..I use work WiFi during the day and video streaming on Facebook is turned off. I have the latest software installed. I hope Optus can assist.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Tano
RetiredModerator

Hey @Burgy, sorry to hear about your data troubles! Sometimes your data alerts can be delayed by up to 48 hours, so it's important to keep track of your data usage in the Optus App. You'll see a time stamp at the bottom of your Data Insights, which notes the latest update. If it's not matching up with the alerts you receive, reach out and we'll look into it for you!

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Dcwdcw
New Contributor

I have a shared data quota with my wife’s mobile. Today I unexpectedly received 3 texts telling me we had exceeded out 2Gb limit. The first said that I would get another 1 Gb for $10, then another an hour later saying I had exhausted that and would be charged another $10 for an extra 1Gb, and finally a third saying that I had nearly exhausted the 2nd extra Gb.

After phoning Customer Support and getting the run around, during which I was first told to ignore the alerts, then transferred 3 times, and after they eventually hung up on me, I started an online chat.

The guy I spoke to was very helpful and has promised to not only credit me the $20 extra charges, but to give me an additional 3Gb free so that I could sort out what was happening.

After installing the Optus app I have discovered that the there was a spike of almost 4Gb on my wife’s iPhone. However the majority of the download was attributed to Google Photos and Skype. Neither of these apps are installed on either my or my wife’s iPhones. The remaining data was attributed to General Browsing with no further breakdown available.

I started a new chat with Optus and the guy I spoke to said it could be some other app that uses Google Photos and Skype. Does anyone know of such an app? How is this possible without actually logging in to Google or Skype?

I find it extremely worrying that Optus can arrange to automatically charge me for extra data at $10 per Gb in this way. If I had not spotted the issue I could have been charged hundreds of dollars for a service I do not want and did not ask for. There is apparently no way to disable this “feature”. Why are regulators not ensuring that consumers have the means to protect themselves from this gouging?

I believe I was very fortunate to contact a sympathetic support person via chat, who has taken care of me well, and I am very grateful to him. I am still none the wiser as to what has actually caused the problem and am reluctant to re enable Mobile data until I understand what happened.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors