cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Mobile Data usage - OptusAlerts

At 7.56p PM yesterday, I received an "OptusAlert" on my phone stating that we had used 50% of our shared data, which was a surprise to me as we usually only use 1/6 of our data. I have a Prepaid account with to sims that share the combined data. Within 10 seconds, I get another Alert stating I have used 100% of my data. Followed by ten more alerts stating that they have topped me up and then used that Data and been topped up again. All alerts came in together. We immediately turned off Mobile Data on both phones and even turned one mobile off. A few seconds later, I received another burst of alerts which continued. Tried to call the Tech support, this is 15 minutes after the first alert, and it was not open so went to the 24/7 chat support.

The first thing they did, not listening to me was to suggest I upgrade the Account and back-date the data. Pay extra for Data I was not using. I suggested that they have an issue, and I received the usual patronising response. I am no idiot and have extensive IT experience. While I am chatting, I am still getting alerts, while Data is turned off. The Tech eventually turns off data on the Account after 76 top-ups and $760. We use very little data normally as we have NBN 100 and a Corporate level Wifi throughout the house. Optus only has barely 1 or 2 bars on 4G here as well.

I ring today and get Tech services, but they can not bring up the data usage and dump me on Customer services who are still unable to access the usage data. So they now say there have been no top-ups, but I had alerts and screenshots from the App last night to the contrary. They tried to tell me it is all good and wait for the bill; however, they did not want to acknowledge the issue. I continued to prompt and discuss as to how I can turn the Data back on again; it is too risky with the Auto Top-Ups.

Should I re-enable Data and take the risk as I have not had great experiences with Telcos and billing in the past, both personally and behalf of clients? So strange that I cannot bring up the data usage.

optus 1.pngoptus 2.pngoptus 3.jpg

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Mobile Data usage - OptusAlerts

Hey @crazywalrus, thanks for reaching out. It's not great to hear about your excess data usage troubles. If you are wondering on how to view your data usage and what service might be using, you can view the various ways on how to do this on our help and support page. 

In regards to this issue as a whole, I recommend getting in touch with us via our Social Media pages on Facebook or Twitter, as our team can take a deeper account level look at this matter for you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I can view the data breakdown for one of the services but not the other and the data is in % so it really does not provide you with the information required to manage data limits. The real issue here is that apparently the two services used 90Gb of data in 20minutes, Wuxi was not the case, given we only have 1 to 2 bars of 4G here it is also impossible.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for providing more details on this, @crazywalrus

Please note that we are unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd.

If you are needing assistance with reviewing the data usage for your services, please send a private message to the official Optus Facebook or Twitter page. Our teams will then be able to securely confirm your details and look into this for you from there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@crazywalrusMake sure to keep copies of everything as Optus will """not have a problem""" at our end...... (bull dust).

Make sure you have a soft copy on your PC /Mac of the Optus myapp sessions (if you cannot save them then ask nicely on myapp for the support person to main you the sessions you have had for the last 2 or so days and YES they can do it as I have got them to do it back in May 2020!!!!)

If you get no where make an Optus  formal complaint via the following page:

https://www.optus.com.au/support/feedback-and-complaints/make-a-complaint

Make sure who ever you speak to or communicate with creates a formal incident and get the number so when you call again you can ask for an update regarding the # and do NOT go over the script jockey crap they will try on you as they can look up the myapp history and the details in the incident #. Been there done that and it's painful. Also be aware that Optus IMHO and other never call you back, unless you make a formal complaint, so be aware of the "I will get someone from the xyz area to call you" and watch the crickets as you can't hear them or the call.

Best of wishs and good luck.

P.S. If after hassling Optus nothing happens make a tio complaint.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply - Optus is a very frustrating organisation to deal with especially now they have the Chat system. The staffing on the chat are not really at a level that can deal with any issues. Also, rather than understanding my concerns, the last one tried to negotiate and bully me into accepting a 50/50 split for the charges which are phantom data usage charges.

I rang today and spoke with a person in accounts. The previous chat conversations eventually agreed to remove the charges, which would take 24 to 48 hours; however, four days later, they are still there. Apparently, there is a case manager that will ring me today; however, I have been promised this before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi, i've had the same exact issue as you and also haven't received much help (basically telling me that I have used over 100gb of data in a space of one hour while on wifi). I was wondering if they resolved your problem? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No resolution as yet. I just finished a long chat with support on the app just now. Keep ringing the wrong number out of the two services after being told many times to ring mine. There is obviously a bug in the system if you have the same issue. I have asked for a minute by minute breakdown or the data use and the service/site that is being alleged that is using it. I only get 1 bar of 4G service here in the middle of Brisbane and I assure you downloading 10gb would be a challenge in that time let alone 100gb
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

So frustrating! I messaged Optus on their Facebook page and have escalated my case to IT. At the same time I also filed a formal complaint as the support on the 24/7 chat were just patronising trying to tell me I definitely used the data and that my wifi was slow so my data kicked in (wifi assist is always off and wifi is not slow). Apparently i have "used" an extra 74gb of data in one day (received the crazy amount of text messages in seconds) so that's $740 extra on my bill. I showed them the breakdown and it doesn't even reflect me using that much gb since my plan reset last week. I'm in Brisbane too and my 4G service isn't great either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you for bringing this to our attention @cromano22. This is definitely not the experience we want our customers to be having, and I will pass on your feedback to the relevant teams so we can improve our customer service experience.

If you need an update, please message us back on Facebook. Tina. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors