Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
AdamP
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Mobile Data Usage Mystery

Hi. I have an Optus postpaid mobile plan with 3GB of monthly data. I usually only use 1-2GB of data per month (most of my phone usage is at home using Wi-Fi). My billing period starts on the 6th of each month. Between 6 Dec & 15 Dec I used a total of 922MB. Then on 16 Dec at 2:39am while I was in bed asleep I received an SMS advising I'd used 50% of my data allowance (1.5GB). Then at 3:01am I received another SMS advising I'd used 85% (2.55GB). When I checked my phone at 9am I had reached 97% (2.9GB). At that point I turned off mobile data and left it off for the remainder of the day. When I later checked my usage on the Optus app for 16 Dec it showed 2.1GB for the day with all of it categorised as 'Media'. Optus have been unable to provide an explanation of how I was able to use that much data while sleeping but offered me an extra 10GB for the month free of charge and suggested I keep an eye on it over the next few days. I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue or could shed some light on what might've caused the excess data usage.  I should also mention that my app store settings have automatic downloads switched off for mobile data. My phone is an iPhone 7 Plus.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Mobile Data Usage Mystery

How much data does your phone itself say its used (not the Optus app)?

There have been two other people reporting unexplainable data usage in the last week.

0 Kudos
AdamP
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure because I've never reset my usage stats on my phone.  It's showing usage over the lifetime of the phone is 51.8GB but I can't tell how much of that was this month.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

In that case reset it now so that you can start monitoring. Then, for at least the next few months, reset it on anniversary so that you can compare it to the Optus app.

If you are on one of the endless data plans you might want to activate the endless data feature.

0 Kudos
AdamP
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the advice.  I've reset my stats and activated endless data.

0 Kudos
Tina_YC

Hey @AdamP! Oh, that's fairly odd! In that case, we recommend keeping a close eye on your Data Usages. It's best to check that Wi-Fi Assist is turned off as well. If it is on, certain apps may use cellular data when your Wi-Fi connectivity is unreliable. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
AdamP
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Tina_YC. Yes I will keep an eye on the data usage from now on. I already have Wi-Fi Assist turned off so that couldn't have contributed to the high usage. The last thing I did with my phone on the night of Dec 15 before I went to bed was to briefly plug it into my laptop via USB to sync my iTunes library (to add 5 new songs). Is there anything part of that process that could've used mobile data?  My laptop and phone were both connected to my home Wi-Fi at the time.

0 Kudos
Tina_YC

On the night of Dec 15, was your mobile data switched on? To avoid iTunes accessing your cellular data in the future, please check that all of the following are turned off under Settings > Mobile: App Store, iBook, iTunes Store. Tina. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
AdamP
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes, my mobile data was switched on that night.  I've switched off mobile data for the apps you mentioned (I don't have iBook).  I also switched off iCloud Drive under mobile settings. The App Store already had automatic downloads switched off for mobile data.

0 Kudos
Tina_YC

Thanks for following our recommendations, @AdamP.  Hopefully, there will be no more other surprises 👍 

0 Kudos