cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Matt2797
Occasional Contributor

Re: Mobile Cancellation Fees

Yeah i meant leave the plan in place so i don't pay cancellation fees but just pay out the s7 itself. Then put the sim into a new phone and continue using that plan until the contract ends. Could i do that? 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Again you can check but I believe the answer is no. You either cancel or you don't cancel. You can't cancel the phone bit but keep the plan bit. That shouldn't matter though as the amounts are the same if you write down the costs involved for each scenario.

Note just read on another thread that Optus often say its a $40 +$25 (phone) plan (for example) but its really a $40 +$35 (phone) plane with a $10 credit applied (when you cancel you lose the credit on remaining payments) - tricky!

But on your scenario:

Keep plan pay the same monthly fee (phone and handset) for another 11 months. Sell Edge (Credit $X?). Buy S8 (Debit $Y)

Even if you could pay out the phone now (which I don't think you can) you're paying more to do it (you lose the monthly Optus credit). You're on the hook for the plan and phone fees over the next 11 months so just pay them out over that time. Only thing that changes is you now have the SIM in a new S8

After 11 months. You are free to try another plan (or just switch to month to month and wait for a good deal to pop up). No phone fees means you could grab something like what I have now:

$40 a month for 12Gb, Unlimited everything. 

Or if the S8 is annoying you by then you could sign up to another 24 month deal but this time with no cancellation fees  and yearly updates if you want for $99 etc.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Morning Matt - generally speaking and also going off what I've just read, it does sound like you signed up just before the launch of the trade in phones.

Also we can change plans at any time, however if you lower the plan amount from what you originally signed onto then there may be fees. Same deal with the contract; if you've signed up before the trade in plans were launched, but later changed over the contract fees associated with the original plan and contract will stand. 

When a plan is changed, the contract will generally stay the same. If you were to upgrade to an S8, then you'd just have to pay out the amount for the old phone, which can either be done over a 3 month period or up front on the next bill.

If you chose to do that, then theoretically could then cancel the service and go PrePaid or switch to the Sim only plans without a cancel fee as you'd be on a new plan / contract that didn't have plan cancellation fees.

If you were to opt for that, the amount for the S8 would be billed in total on the following invoice.

Hope this helps. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor tts1980
Occasional Contributor

Just like to refresh this topic, I am looking at the MyPlan Plus 12M SIM only, in the plan summary column, Optus has "NO PLAN CANCELLATION FEES, if you need to leave your plan early - you can. Simply pay out the full remaining cost of your phone including any amounts Optus was going to cover". Turns out this is either false advertising or I misunderstood what they are saying by no plan cancellation fees. Because if one digs deeper into the critical information summary, there is this clause "Cancellation fees The maximum cancellation fee for this plan is $300 which will reduce each month of your contract term. Plus if you cancel your mobile plan, you’ll also have to pay any remaining payments for your phone in full if you have chosen a repayment option."

How does Optus reconcile the two clauses in their own plan?

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi tts,

Its hard to comment without a link? A quick check of the plans doesn't show the discrepancy you mention. 

Optus quite often have different cancellation policies on plans over time so perhaps you're looking at two different ones? For example if you choose the month to month SIM option you get NO FEES. If you choose the plan you get FEES. Perhaps you could provide a plan ID (at the top of the Critical Summary)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor tts1980
Occasional Contributor

The column summary with the "No Plan Cancellation Fees" seems to be only visible when I choose to upgrade my plan. In my case, this is a SIM only plan so I didn't purchase a phone with it so I imagine remaining cost of phone to be $0. Here is the screen capture:optusmyplanplus.png

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I suspect its related to the fact you're upgrading your plan. In the summary page Optus are acknowledging you've done your time and so are now not liable for the prorated cancellation fees. The CIP covers both new and upgrading customers.

I agree its a bit ham fisted. Optus seem to issue new varients of plans every few months. Specials this, discounts that, upgrade this, etc. There should be a tighter control on how this is all implimented IMO, but it seems the sales department is ahead of the line to the tech and legal department that ties all these offers together. Little wonder the documentation somehow contradicts itself.

I don't think you'd have an issue cancelling, but definitely take the screen shot (as it takes precedence over any other fine print later in the process).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors