Searching...

Mobile

Mobile Cancellation Fees

Matt2797

Hi, ok so i just had an online chat asking about the costs to get out of my phone contract. I've had an s7 edge with optus from day 1, she said it would be ~$500 to pay out the handset costs and get out of the contract, i thought sweet but then she said there would also be a ~$400 cancellation fee on top.

Now i'm confused because on the optus site it say's for mobiles "NO MOBILE CANCELLATION FEES". I want to get out of my contract and buy a phone outright as my s7 is getting very slow and i'm in a better financial state to buy a phone upfront.

So why do i have to pay out the full costs of the phone plus a hundreds of dollars cancellation fee when on the optus site it say's this about mobile plans "NO CANCELLATION FEES. JUST PAY OUT YOUR PHONE" "If you need to leave your plan early you can. Simply pay out the full reamaining cost of your phone including any amount optus was going to cover."

This is the first time i've had a phone on a contract.

Re: Mobile Cancellation Fees

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

I suspect the person you talked to was confused. The Cancellation policy is: 

Cancellation If you leave your plan early, there are no plan cancellation fees. You will simply need to pay out the full remaining cost of your mobile handset, which will include any monthly handset credit that Optus was going to cover. You will also need to pay the prorated monthly access fee for your final month and any charges incurred up until the cancellation date. This could include usage that is excluded from your plan or excess fees if you’ve used more than the included values

Suggest you use live chat or ring again and see if you get a different answer. Ask what are the extra dollars for if you are only due to pay up till the day you leave (pro rated).

As an alternative if you're happy enough with the service you could keep the plan. Why not just buy a new phone outright and swap the SIM to it. Optus don't care what phone you use the SIM in. Sell the S7 on eBay to cover some costs and then consider a different plan when your current plan expires. If you want to get a bit more data on the plan I believe optus would be happy to bump you up to the next tier.

As another thought, these plans seem to come with the option of upgrading your handset for $100. If you're close to this point it may be the best option:

New Phone Trade Up This plan includes the option of New Phone Trade Up. So after 12 months on this plan, you have the option to pay a one-off fee of $99, return your original mobile handset to Optus in good working order and purchase a new mobile handset on a new 24 month plan

As a third option, try a factory reset of your current phone. You'd may be surprised how much it will speed up after a full clean out.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Matt2797

Thanks for the answer Peter. I actually tried the phone trade up but they wouldn't accept it because there are a couple small cracks on the glass. I also tried the online chat twice and they both said the same thing, ~$400 fee on top.

I asked what the fee is for and said that on the optus site it say's "no cancellation fees". She said something like the no cancellation fees is only when you cancel and go with optus again Smiley Frustrated Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Is keep trying. My italics above is straight of their critical things to know document. The fine print days nothing about staying with optus. You owe the outstanding on the handset and this month's payment up to today. All to elevate to a supervisor. Ask them to show you where on optus website it says differently. Ask them to read the critical info on the plan on your phone which has the quote above.

Good luck

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

You mention you're a year into the contract? I believe optus bought in the no cancellation fees option in March 2016. They also bought in the 12 month phone upgrade option at that time. If your contract is older than that then perhaps it does have fees? You should have access to your terms somewhere (although I can't readily find mine for my phone)

If you do find you are liable for the fees I can suggest two options:

1) Get the glass replaced on the phone (~$120) and get Optus to upgrade it to a S8 ($99)

2) Just buy an S8 swap the sims over and sell the edge for what every you can get for it.

Either way you stay on the plan and cancellation fees are not applicable. If you do upgrade the phone you will be put on a new 24 month contract. Make sure it is using the current terms and has no cancellation fees attached this time around.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Matt2797

When i first got the phone it was on one of the older plans, but i remember almost right after i got it (like a week or 2 later) they brought out the new plans with the trade up option and no cancellation fee.

I contacted optus seeing if i could move to one of these new plans and they did it no problem.

Matt2797

Also i was gonna raplace the glass, but it would cost $499 ._.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

$500 for the glass? Ouch. Remembered you said its an Edge phone - looks cool but easy to break and expensive to fix. 

Timing sounds right. Surprised the customer service person was able to do that. They would normally have to completely re-issue everything as it has different terms and conditions etc. (i.e. its not just a change in data allowance). Hopefully it wasn't a customer person who just said you're sorted but couldn't actually sort it. 

You may have an uphill battle if the records say you're still on the old plan. Maybe contact customer service and ask if there's a not or something of the call you made (there should be a record of that) and if the option of moving to the no cancellation plan has been noted in the file (there may not be of that.). Optus also keep all their recordings I believe. Definitely any contract ones but also just any calls - you could ask if they could find a sopy of that call and review what was said (They'll take several days to find it if they believe its available)

Failing that, without some sort of email confirmation etc. I'm out of ideas. Which IMO leaves you with two options:

1. Keep the phone and do a factory reset to clean out the cobwebs

2. Sell the phone for whatever on ebay and put your sim in a new S8 bought outright.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Matt2797

Thanks, alright i guess i'll just pay out my s7 fees, buy a new phone and try get a couple $ out of my s7. So if i did that (pay out the s7 and get a new phone) would i be able to put the sim in and it'd work just like normal straight away? Also is there a way i can see how much i'd be paying just for the sim without the handset costs? 

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

The SIM should work in any other phone (you can get optus to change it over for a different sized SIM in any store on the spot for you. If you can get your hands on some other unused phone you could always just try it - swap the SIM. Boot up and make a phone call.

Note I'm not suggesting you pay out your current contract. That would cost about $900 with fees etc.? Just leave your contract in place and do the 24 months. You can up the data amount if you need to anytime. The plan is connected to the SIM not the phone, so swap the sim into your new phone and sell your current one. 

That said you should definitely check this works. Hopefully a moderator will pop into this thread today and provide a answer. AFAIK its all quite straight forward but I'd hate to muck you up further.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
73 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos