cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor AMOZ
New Contributor

Misleading Optus Advertising - SIM only Offers of Three Months Free - Buyer Alert

Just signed up for a 12 Month SIM $59 plan after porting from Telstra. The plan had a special offer of three months plan fee free. Now after two days I have a bill for the first month. 

I queried via the message bot and after a few hours was told that the special offer was not loaded due to a 'technical error'.  The bot (not sure if it was a person or computer) told me the first month would be waived somehow - but I have a bill?  Then to check back each next month to make the same inquiry (complaint)!  Really? It's my problem to keep requesting Optus honours it's special offers??

I have to say Optus is making Telstra look really good so far. 

Late news:  I persisted with the message app and now I'm told they can load the special offer after all. But it sounds like I have to pay the first bill for this current month and then the next three months will be bill free - we shall see. But that's a lot of my time wasted that I won't get back. So new buyers beware - be sure to check if any special offers you thought you were getting are actually loaded.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Misleading Optus Advertising - SIM only Offers of Three Months Free - Buyer Alert

The three months is taken off over the 12 month period. So it's essentially 25% off each month. Although it's clearly noted where you select which plan you want it's easy to miss.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
New Contributor AMOZ
New Contributor

Re: Misleading Optus Advertising - SIM only Offers of Three Months Free - Buyer Alert

No it wasn't with me. After been signed up by an Optus staff member in person, two days later I got my first months bill for the full monthly $59 amount, so with no offer discount in any shape or form. 

After messing around on messenger with Optus for two hours or so on and off this morning. They finally agreed to load the offer rather than me having to contact them each month for three months to flag the omission and to request they waive the monthly fee - which is the first resolution they proposed.

Not sure how it will work now, perhaps a discount applied each month of 12 as you say. But now I at least have it in writing and by text that it should happen as advertised. They blamed the omission on a technical error.  Errors happen but it took a bit of pushing to get it sorted. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Glad its sorted. FWIW it probably would have shaken out on its own. Optus do not have a great track record with first bills. I suspect this is because it has so many variations on standard plans that all the manual adjustments don't always work. Its a pity as the first bill shouldn't be a 3 hour slog to try just get what you agree to the day before.

Now its in place you shouldn't have more issues (and hopefully a well priced and data laden deal)

Peter Gillespie
Top Contributors