cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor drbenmcnair
Occasional Contributor

Metered data usage in Optus Sport app

I subscribe to EPL as part of my mobile plan. Optus Sport app is supposed to be data free. Over the past few weeks I seem to have been charged a lot of data for streaming EPL games. This morning I recorded the data usage stats on my phone and in the My Optus app both before and after the Swansea Liverpool game, which I started streaming on wi-fi and then moved out of range and used mobile data for the last quarter of the game. It is very clear that the mobile data usage of ~550MB (a) appeared on my phone mobile data usage records as Optus Sport app, (b) counted toward my metered data as evidenced by an Optus SMS alert and the My Optus app records, and (c) appeared in the Optus data breakdown as 'Browsing' and 'Akamai', but not as 'epl'. Has anyone else had this trouble? What can be done about it?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Re: Metered data usage in Optus Sport app

Hi @drbenmcnair, definitely understand the concern around the data you're seeing on your end there.

The apps data meter cannot always detect what usage is metered and unmetered so it'd show everything as one. This means when your invoice is being generated any data that needs to be excluded will be Smiley Happy

If you'd like us to take a closer look at what's going on, please chat with our Customer Care team here (via PC) so we can help. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for replying, Alex. I know it has been metered, as I received an Optus Alert SMS advising the amount of my allowance I've used. Last month I was charged two $10 data top-ups due to the same issue. That's been resolved via a one-off adjustment, but the issue is ongoing and I'm now hesitant to use a service I'm paying for. I've tried live chat and Twitter. No one seems willing to give proper consideration to the evidence I'm presenting and instead assumes that which they ought to prove - that EPL streaming is indeed unmetered as advertised - and advises that I manage my data usage. Looks like my next avenue is the Customer Relations Group, then the ombudsman.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Moderator Kartika

Hey @drbenmcnair, the Optus app displays your total data usage inclusive of any any eligible data free services like Optus sports which you are not charged for. When the bill is issued this data usage will not be added to your total allowance and will be deducted. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I'm aware of that. I have an SMS from OptusAlert advising how much of my allowance has been used. I understand these SMS alerts report only data that count toward my allowance (and exclude data free services). Is that correct?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Moderator Kartika

To make it clear the data usage you see (the circle with the percentage) when you open your My Optus App will be the data used on the account excluding any free streaming. The data usage you see when you click the Data Breakdown button includes the data you've used for the month including data used on any free streaming you have active. That is correct, SMS alerts report only data that count toward your allowance (and exclude data free services). 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you. That's a very clear response. But it confirms my issue is valid. What's the best way to send screenshots to Optus?

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

You can PM either Kartik or myself with your screenshots, account number, full name and DOB so we can look into this for you a little further Smiley Happy 

New Contributor SolPark
New Contributor

Hi Alex .

I am experiencing same issue as above member.

I use post paid phone with Optus sport option.

And the EPL streaming has been charged  and taken my allowance.

I will message  you more information so that you could  have further look on my account.

Thankssssss

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @SolPark,

This is not something that we can currently assist with here on the forum. 

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details. 

If not, please chat with us.  

0 Kudos
Top Contributors