Searching...

Mobile

Managing Premium SMS and Third Party Content

MouniraH

Hi Everyone

There are alot of questions coming through and incase you are not aware we have created an article on this issue here which will detail everything you need to know on how third party content providers work and the steps you can take to prevent any unwanted charges. 

Hope you find it helpful

M

Have you seen something helpful? Don't forget to give it a kudos. Asked a question and got an answer? Make sure you mark it as an accepted solution!
Highlighted

Re: Managing Premium SMS and Third Party Content

dt_moderated

Optus need to have a serious rethink about whether it is:

1. the customer who should be spending significant time and effort on not being scammed through their Optus bills.

2. Optus not cooperating with scammers through the premium SMS service.

Consider for point #1 it takes a customer like myself 1.5hours of forum searching clicking, registering, passwords and swapping devices to a PC to set my premium sms service to $0.  I am still on the hook to Optus for $40 of charges for an u known service. And I am still unsure if I will be charged further in the future for this or any other fictitious service. Also consider I have 2 mobiles, 3 computers and have built computers since the 80286.  I am sick to my stomach as to what a pensioner or non computer literate person would have to do. 

For point #2 the person taking my money and acting as the middleman decides to stop working with companies that have nothing but complaints. I have yet to hear of someone who actually wants the services of MIA Sphere and co.

Swarner

Hello

I have just reviewed my monthly bill and noticed that I have been charge a total of $54.48 from 20 Sep to 19 Oct for "Content Services" from a supplier names MIA Sphere Live that I know nothing about, have never purchased or authorised. This has prompted me to look at my previous account and again I was charged $9.08 for "Content Services" from the same supplier. I did not authorise this and would like it rectified immediately please and any charges made against my account for "Content Services" immediately refunded. 

Mike-N

Hello @Swarner, I'm sorry for the delayed response. If you send us a private message confirming your phone number, full name, and date of birth, we'll help you block these charges and dispute the charge on your bill.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

EvoNat

Hi there, I have switched to Optus Sim plan in October and since then I have been charged 4 x $9.08 Mia Sphere Live sms, which I have never agreed to, don't know what they are and am not happy to pay for it. After some investigation it looks like a lot of Optus customers are being scammed by this company using Optus network, and this has been going on for years! Absolutely unacceptable. I delete any messages from unknow numbers and it apperas that Mia Sphere is texting from a really dodgy numer +1 (978) 922-0, no sensible person whould ever open or read anymessage from such number. Optus please take it off my bill and resolve this for all people that are affected!

Swarner

I ended up ringing the helpline number (just finding an Optus phone number to ring was a challenge in itself which is somewhat ironic given Optus is a telecommunications company). Got a very helpful rep who did not hesitate to give me an undertaking without any questions whatsoever that all content services charged to me would be withdrawn and any payments made for such in previous bills refunded. Was told would take 24 -48 hours to be reflected in my online account so 24 hrs later no change so I will reserve my judgement. I do question how many other unsuspecting victims have fallen to this scam and have simply paid their bills without scrutinising them. Maybe Optus could be a little bit proactive and send an email / message to all of their customers warning them of such a scam and to be aware of any suspicious charges on their account??

Tom020

How about you read what all your customers want, and treat them fairly?
If you want to treat your customers fairly, you should have third party content DISABLED BY DEFAULT. PROBLEM SOLVED.
The fact that you have not done so, clearly shows that you are complicit in these scams.
Pull your thumbs out, and your act together Optus.
A great deal of your customers are ourraged at your lack of action being taken on this for YEARS.
You have been warned previously by the ACCC. So start doing what your customers want, or prepare to lose them.

Dan_C

Hey @Tom020, we've recently cut ties with a number of vendors and it's something that we'll definitely see much less of in the future. I do understand the concern in relation to the default $200.00 spend limit and it's something that we will review.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

melissa93

y isit optus can charge u way over monthly bills and not know why or how it is happening

2nd re contract with youz and im again going through the same THING AGAIN....I WOULD NEVER RECCOMENED OPTUS 2 ANYONE

MargyR

Absolutely furious with Optus. I'm getting charged by MIA Sphere Live 9.99 for something I didn't order or request, so far it's been a total of $50 that I have to pay according to Optus. As per messages on this forum, it is a constant complaint from Optus Customers, and yet the company doesn't care about it.

I've tried to raise a complaint through the optus zoo website and it doesn't work. It's absolutely useless.

I tried to lower the credit spend limit to ZERO, but website still shows $200 is the limit.

I need someone to fix this issues with third party scammer asap. Lucky I can leave Optus at any moment. Completeley dissapointed to continue with this company. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
130 Kudos
127 Kudos
100 Kudos
86 Kudos
56 Kudos