Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

MMS on Wifi Calling

Davelew

Hi

I am having problems with MMS sending attached pictures. Optus clearly state with wifi calling when you have no mobile reception you can make calls and MMS However although the app says messages are sent they are not being received. I have tried sending them to my self but so not receive them. Online chat tells me that you cannot send MMS over wifi.i have quoted the web pages that Optus day you can.

Where I have got good mobile reception messages are received.

So what is the truth. Can you or can't you?

Dave

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Re: MMS on Wifi Calling

Paddylee

I am on wifi at home, have the wifi calling icon on the screen (Note 8)

I can send MMS while on wifi and the receiver gets the picture I sent.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Davelew

Thanks @Paddylee 

Last night I was trying to work out why it wouldn't work then I thought of it could be that I use a smart DNS service.

Used the wifi from my Optus modem this morning which would use the Optus fixed DNS and the picture message I sent to myself came straight back through.  So that looks like the reason for my problem, but why, I am trying to understand.  Surely if you can use other than Optus wifi outside of your home you would have thought MMS wouldn't work.

The only other reason could be I have added static routes to my router to force Chromecast to use the smart DNS address.

As an aside it again shows the lack of knowledge on Optus support. Why insist you can't send MMS using wifi calling. Both the support staff member and her supervisor insisted it couldn't be done 

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Paddylee

Mine works via wifi to a Telstra NBN FTTC connection via cloudflare dns.

Ticks all boxes I guess?

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

SillyGogo

this is a long reach, does MMS uses the data to authenticate? Maybe try another DNS like cloudflair as per @Paddylee with a non Optus path and see if that works. It could be the DNS that you original have is rejected by the Optus MMS gateway.

Davelew

Thanks @SillyGogo 

I think you may have been away helping Donald Trump tell a few more porkies so good to see you back.

Now I know what the problem is not an issue as I just connect to the Sagemcom wifi and can send. Only thing I have to check is whether I can receive MMS when connected through the smart DNS.  That's for another day as busy helping my beloved wife getting an extended family lunch prepared and don't expect to be in a fit state afterwards, most likely use the tv this evening as a sleeping aid.

Dave

SillyGogo

Hi @Davelew , good to be back, been away and busy with the new job, not with Donald, he doen't need any help in the porkie department. 

I've been lurking around here and there, however, you guys have been so quick to put out a solution that all I do is to give a thumb up to acknowledge the great answers. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
154 Kudos
131 Kudos
96 Kudos
94 Kudos
77 Kudos