Searching...

Mobile

Re: MIA Sphere Live

karen78

Sounds like the same run around I had. Only a little amount being offered as a refund and then a bit more until finally they agree to a full refund. Ask for confirmation that you will get a full refund through the moderators on here. Don't give up on it. This is what Optus is hoping hundreds of people will do. They know they are in the wrong. 

I finally did get my refund. I refused to pay my bill and turned off all payments until they did.

Good luck. This should never have been allowed to happen. Total Fraud! 

KarenSilkwood

@Troy78

I admit I have not read through the 86 pages of this thread. Just the first and the last... Thanks god for your post Troy. I just added up how much this scam has cost me and it's $439.56 so I know your hurt. Your story is incredible. I can't believe what Optus is up to. I went into a Optus store because I like to talk to human beings. The sales assistant got on the phone to MIA Sphere (so much for a live human being) and I was offered 2 months worth of refunds... Apparently they could only refund the last "billing cycle". I was incredulous and rejected what to me clearly seemed like an attempt to fool me into taking whatever they offered. What occured to me was how quick they were to offer two months worth of refunds but not the full amount. It's like they are admitting fault but trying to scam you in yet another roundabout way. I knew in that instant that I would not rest until I got a full refund. Little did I know that this is a widespread problem for a lot of people. Unbelievable that Optus are in on this. I have been an Optus customer for a decade or so. Part of the reason is that by going with one of the big 3 I figure that the chance of this kind of thing happening is much less. I wont go on becuase I'm sure it's all been said in this long long thread of shame for Optus. 

j4yd33

Everyone should report theses occurences to the ACCC and a media outlet to hold Optus and this system responsible.

Yes subscriptions by third parties may be legally allowed but it is unethical for Optus to allow these third parties to charge through their billing system without appropriate approval by the customer. At the very least there should be a notification to the customer there has been an external charge so they can follow it up.

I found out I had this charge when I was looking at my bank statements. At first Optus told me I had to request the refund through the third party (MIA Sphere Live). I argued the case and eventually got a refund credited on my next bill. I am guessing there are several people who did not recieve this refund.

I have lodged a complaint to the ACCC pointing out not only the scam but the fact Optus allows these scams to occur through their billing system and does nothing to alert the customer or provide refund until the customer finds the charge and actions.

KarenSilkwood

So I finally had the time to sit down and use Optus chat to get a refund. First I was told to call MIA Sphere. I told the Optus representative I would not do that because I had no arrangement with them. I had an arrangement with Optus. Then I was offered 6 months refund. I refused that and after asking to talk to someone else I was told she had spoken to the manager and was offered the full 12 months or refunds. 

The thing is I knew I would get my money back. What I'm angry about is how Optus is part of the scam. The first offer I got was a refund for two months. Then six. And finally twelve. Obviously the Optus representatives are being told to try and see what they can get away with.

Okay now I need to contact ACCC.

Dan_C

@KarenSilkwood, would you like us to go in and take a look?

We're happy to try and help out.

You'll just need to send us a private message. Please include your full name, DOB and mobile number.

We'll get back to you as soon as we can. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

KarenSilkwood

Dan, 

As long as the full refund comes through that was promised I'm fine. But instead of offering to help individuals how about Optus stop this from happening? What I'm worried about is people getting scammed that are not even aware of it? Older vulnerable people in nursing homes/people with financial difficutlies that don't notice/people with learning difficulties ETC. 

Instead of helping individuals to get a refund CHANGE THE SYSTEM. 

Two things need to change:

1. Automatic limit on third party purchases needs to be $0 not $200

2. When you sign up for something it needs to be very clear including a secondary click confirming purchase and all details. Basically it needs to be the kind of process that leaves no doubt what you are signing up for. I mean I was getting charged $40/$50 a month for something I didn't even know existed!!! To be charged that much by Optus/Foxtel/etc I have to go through a process of giving details etc etc

I mean it needs to be A LOT CLEARER. I never clicked on MIA Sphere. I never click on eanything that looks half dodgy. In fact I hardly use the internet on my phone. I remember getting a few spammy looking texts that I deleted or replied to with STOP and that's all. When the royal commision decides to look at the telecommunications sector does Optus want its name smeared with excrement? 

Thanks,

Ms Silkwood

Dan_C

I hear you @KarenSilkwood

Check out the blog we posted a couple of months back. 

No more Third party Content 

From 24th August 2018, you will no longer be able to purchase content from some Third Party Content Providers via your mobile bill or using your prepaid credit. 

You will still be able to purchase one-off payments such as charity donations, TV voting (e.g. X Factor) and TV competitions (e.g. Eurovision and Channel 7 Sunrise Cash Cow).

When did you receive the last content charge?

Did this happen before the 24th or after? 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
74 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos