cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live

Hi Tim, yes me to for more than 500 dollars. Forget talking to Optus head for the TIO it's easy and free and all of a sudden Optus will start chasing you to sort it, amazing the response, they will cave on the charges and you will be back in control. You don't have to worry about the charges you will never have to pay them unless you deliberately signed up for them in the first place. Just a scam Optus decided to get involved in as the bagman to make some slimy profits....Ron Grant

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi kj, don't worry about it. Don't pay the scam charges, go to the TIO site and file a complaint you will be totally amazed how Optus go from immpossible to talk to then they will start chasing you, don't pay the charges from the scammers I had 500 dollars involved and Optus caved and canceled the charges. Don't stress you are in control via the TIO....Ron Grant

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Amazing, does anyone from Optus want to make any comment. Optus PR......anything......nothing.......anything...???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Mia Sphere Live

Sorry to hear this keeps happening @NomiPh. We'll need you to send through a private message with the full name, account number and DOB attached to the service so we can follow up and take a look into this for you.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am not surprised that customers are still being scammed. Optus should seriously consider notifying it’s customers if they are billed by third parties via same day text. As they only like to handle these matters privately and not make further public statements tells me that they are happy to get away with it. Surely it’s only a matter of time before telecommunication companies face the same legal questions as the banks are today. Taking money from customers unknowingly will eventually be looked at and dealt with accordingly

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

MIA Sphere

Hi there,

I've been hit with 5 x $9.99 charges for MIA Sphere Live, which I never subscribed to. I called the 1300 724 406 number on the bill and there is no detail about the service and what it is. How can I stop this from happening and importantly get a refund for this as I had not authorised this service to be added.

Also, can someone please explain to me how my number was given to a third party such as them? Is it a scam? Can someone help me?

Cheers,

Mani

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere

Hi Manni,

Yes it is a scam but you should be able to get your money back. 

Regretably, Optus plays no small part in facillitating the scam and actually makes quite a bit of money on the side from it.  

Don't bother to call the number (they're scammers) but do send back the word STOP to the SMS.

Then contact Optus and 

a) Request your premium SMS limit be set to $0 (this will stop it happening again for any new 'subscriptions'

b) Tell Optus to challange the charges (some CS will say youhave to do it but it is Optus job)

c) You should see the amounts recredited back to your account in a few days.

How many months do the fees go back?

As to how you got charged, most likely clicking on some add or puzzle in Facebook or the net and bang you've 'subscribed'

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for yor answer. I've been charged since October 2017. Off the back of my complaint to Optus, MIA Sphere are refunding $79.92, which is well short of the amount owed. I rang and complained for a full refund. The CS was going to escalate it. 

I'm horrified that this has happened.  What a scam!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @Lady_Mani - thanks for reaching out. Can you please send us a PM with your mobile number, full name and DOB so we can take a look? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I checked my account yesterday and realised that for the past 4 months this scamming company have taken $55 each month without my knowledge. I got in touch with Optus and the service was appalling. They told me to contact the scammers directly. Haha. Optus replies on this forum are hilarious. Optus need to accept that there is a security issue with their system and it needs addressing. Optus give excuses that these subscriptions are from Facebook ads blah blah.. but there are also other ways that scammers can get subscriptions from people without it being an ad. Links can be disguised and coded. Having a one click process to subscribe is absolutely mind blowing. This can not happen with my credit card, so why can it happen with my mobile phone? There is no confirmation process to let you know you are about to be subscribed to a scam. How does Optus think this is acceptable??? Also, the spend for extra services should be at $0 by default! If a user wants to enter into a subscription then the user should be told to change settings. The average user isn’t going to know about these settings so they can’t turn off something that they are unaware of. I have two business accounts with Optus and will be leaving after my contract is over. The reasons?.. Optus telling me to chase my refund from the company without accepting responsibility for this scam. Also the responses from the Optus staff on this forum are shocking. The excuses they give are pathetic. I finally received my refund after fighting for it but a lot of time was wasted. It’s 2018 Optus, wake up.

0 Kudos