cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor Ausierob
Occasional Contributor

Re: How do I get a refund from being scammed by this Optus Gamesaine 2 and Prizesaint? What are they

Dear @Dan_C,

You more than any of us have the front row seat to what’s going on. With the many many people complaining about these services that just appear charging $5 a day each for some stupid trivia game or whatever. I was one of them except I work in the telco industry with access to information that is public but let’s say it’s not made public. The very nice  Optus team here and at the call centre gave me the massive run around over getting these charges removed from my account. Being told any number of stories as to why it’s nothing to do with Optus, they just offer s services like your credit card, I had to contact these uncontactable companies to get them to remove the charges etc. Every one of these points was untrue and remains so. 

Optus did eventually cancel all costs without the 3rd parties being involved. It just took a personal dedication from my side to ensure that Optus knew that I wasn’t buying any of these stories. 

Optus is involved with these companies, and allow them to operate on the Optus platform  as s joint venture with Optus (this information is in the public domain). 

Thankfully the announcement canceling these services from end of Jan 18 should be a end to these scams but Optus has profited hugely by this “legal-ish” scam. Most likely taking money from those least able to afford these bogus fees and ill equipped to deal with the call centre run around. 

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: How do I get a refund from being scammed by this Optus Gamesaine 2 and Prizesaint? What are they

I'm longing for the day where I never  stumble upon another Premium SMS thread.

I'm not disputing the fact that from a customer’s point of view - they'd be dismayed at how long it'd taken for us to make the change.

I'm simply stating that from the enquiries I and other colleagues have dealt with; we've always been able to easily refund the charge.

Nevertheless, the community is intended for customers to share the experience they've had with us. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor 2Di
New Contributor

Scam 3rd party billing - Mia sphere

I realised several months ago i have been billed for a service that i know nothing about- as everyone else caught in this scam. Its subscription processes are so obscure that they are reportedly making over $40 mil in revenue from unsuspecting customers. Optus has not blocked this practice because they are MIAs enablers & get a cut from this scam. So optus is double -dipping from their customers. When i called optus's asia call centre  last year, the woman tried to explain how it happened & said MIA will be blocked & refund allocated. I called yesterday due to recent bill showing once again MIA charges. I was told the previous optus rep didnt complete the blocking procedures. I was really mad & said this whole situation with optus was unacceptable! Anyway as i found out an hour later, this 2nd staff rep did not block MIA but instead cancelled my internet!!! I am f__king MAD. It will take 24 hrs to get it back & i have a business. I dont understand why the bureaucrats from the relevant Telco bodies are too weak to put a stop to it. There is a groundswell of complaints against this practice & Optus. Can we put in a class action againts this scam & optus? Just because you read an article & then press "next" does not equate to consent for subscription fees made to your account. MIA CANNOT CLAIM THAT AS A LEGITIMATE CONSENT PROCESS. The whole scam is designed to be so obscure that you have no idea what you have agreed to just from reading something & clicking next or exit.  Nothing is clearly set out nor is a request for consent to bill made obvious anywhere within the page . THAT CANNOT BE LEGAL!  Once my plan with optus has expired I'm leaving. 

Tags (1)
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Scam 3rd party billing - Mia sphere

Optus have actually blocked these sort of "providers" as of the 1st of this month - https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Optus-Postpaid-and/...

Note it's disabled by default for new customers and those who don't have an active "subscription" so if yours is still active, it needs to be cancelled manually and the fee's disputed. 

Telstra have also done the same thing for their customers although announced and implemented well ahead of Optus. I haven't seen (also haven't checked) if Voda followed suit. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
New Contributor 2Di
New Contributor

Re: Scam 3rd party billing - Mia sphere

Hi. Yes i know. As i already stated,  last year I called to cancel  & clearly there is poor training with call centrre staff and system procedures. This poor training was once again shown yesterday when instead of blocking MIA from my billing, the call centre women cancelled my internet!!! How is that even possible!? Surely they are two different pages/procedures within the system. I just want to recieve a full from this scam.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Jeza
New Contributor

Mia Sphere Live

Have just recieved my mobile bill and I have been billed $14 for Mia Sphere Live. Have read a few forums re same is it worth ringing there helpline no or is Optus able to do anything about it 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mia Sphere Live

Hey Jeza apparently you can reduce your exposure to these premium service companies by changing your minimum spend to zero. This can be done by following the instructions on the link below. For the charges you have already incurred I would be jumping onto the second link below and requesting a refund.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/managing-third-party-content-spend-control?requestType=N...

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat

New Contributor Jeza
New Contributor

Thanks for info, went straight onto chat line and they said would get refund next bill and she changed my minimum spend to zero and logged a complaint Smiley Happy 

New Contributor 11Phie
New Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live

This just happened to me, did you get a refund?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Excellent! Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos