cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor firmbee
Occasional Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live

All good! My problem was solved quickly and full refund by next bill. I am glad Optus is sorting this out! A lot of angst for many for nothing... a scam!

0 Kudos
New Contributor Francis610
New Contributor

Scam charges on my sim cards for the last few month under content , under the exact same scam, exact same name reported here almost 5 months ago and yet optus still letting these scam company charge you through your account with optus, and Optus has conviniountly charging me via my account and via my credit card.

Disgrasfull and unacceptable 

Charges under content called

MIA Sphere Live

Digtal Virgo

24HS Vidios-MS

Mooda 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Mike-N
RetiredModerator

Re: MIA sphere live scam

Hello @dentabox. Have you since got through to someone for assistance raising a dispute and blocking the subscription? If you do still need help, don't hesitate to send us a private message confirming your phone number, full name, and date of birth. Live Chat are really busy at the moment. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Mike-N
RetiredModerator

Hello Francis610. If you take a look at Dan_C's last response on this thread above, you'll see some info on how to block these services, raise a dispute to get a refund, and also on how we'll be making changes in January. Info on these changes can be found here

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor MrsSquizzy
New Contributor

Hey Optus, I've had several charges applied to my bill that in fact doubled the total amount of the bill.

What the? I'm confused with why it is up to me to request a block for something that I've never asked for or signed up for!? Wouldn't this be something that you have to opt IN TO, rather than OUT OF?

Please advise how the refund happens as I'm not happy and I've been a looooong standing Optus customer. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @MrsSquizzy,

We do understand the concern and changes are being made in response to customer feedback. I'd suggest checking out the following threads. 

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Optus-Postpaid-and/...

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Home-Wireless/ba-p/...

For the moment, we'd suggest jumping onto live chat → www.optus.com.au/livechat/pmobiYou'd need to ask the consultant to action the following for you.

• Ask that they set your Premium SMS spend limit to $0.00. This prevents any third party provider from charging your Optus account.
  • Ask that they raise a dispute with MIA Sphere Live. We're looking at a contact time-frame of 2-3 working days. Once the refund has been approved, it'll be credited back into your Optus account by the time your next invoice is due to come through.

If you need us to follow up on your refund, message us back here and we'll gladly help out.

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor jaburto
New Contributor

ONCE AGAIN my December bill has a SMS Premiun charged!

SEPTEMBER 

OCTOBER 

NOVEMBER 

DECEMBER

I have complained in all occasion and requested refund for all, NOTHING!!

This time I requested a change and bill without this scammed charges, I paid to OPTUS and their THIEF associates so much money.

So illegal to scammed people like that and optus does nothing about the refunds.. but expect to pay!

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Sorry to hear this is still on-going @jaburto. Did you get my message in this thread? Please send me a private message with your account information to make sure this is completed properly.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Proper legal way to get a refund is to say you are "refuting the charges".

1. Contact Optus to refute the charges. The industry's recommendation does not allow those scams to persist. Do not let Optus tell you to ring the scammer to get your money back, that never works.

2. If unsuccessful, mention three letters to Optus operator, namely "T I O" (Ombudsman).

3. Watch your invoices. If unsuccessful, place an on-line complaint with the TIO. Write down reference number from automated reply if you need to escalate complaint.

Do not contact ACCC, ACMA, ACORN, Scamwatch, Scamnet, etc. as all they do is keep scam statistics, they send you an automated reply, but will never investigate that scam. The TIO will get your money back.

Telstra has now after ten years of scamming decided to stop this scam this December, Optus has promised to stop in January 2018.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

FROM THE WHIRLPOOL COMMS FORUM:

After a bit of back and forth i managed to get a refund from Optus, it took the threat of a TIO complaint and threat to leave to make anything happen though. Why these telcos can't give their customer the benefit of the doubt in this issue is beyond me (ok, maybe not, surely they are profiting), a quick google reveals many complaints on their own user forums from customers with the exact same issue. They never purposefully signed up for anything. Some ammo I used in my conversations with Optus:

From the TIO website (https://www.tio.com.au/about-us/position-statements/charges😞

Third party charges billed by the provider
If a telecommunications service allows a consumer to incur charges for third party products – for example, mobile applications (apps) or in-app purchases – on their telecommunications bill or pre-paid credit, the consumer should be made aware of this before they incur the third party charges.

My first charge was made before i got the "You are subscribed..." text message

The provider shares responsibility with the third party for resolving disputes about third party charges it bills to the consumer.

It's not up to you the customer to resolve the issue, so when they tell you to call the third party on whatever number they give, tell them no

From the Communications Alliance Industry Code (http://www.commsalliance.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/45844/C637_2011-Variation-No.1-2014.pdf😞

The additional Rules for providing information to Customers of a Subscription Premium Messaging Service are:
4.4.1 Double Opt-In
– Subscription Request Message: Following receipt of a clear and positive request to subscribe to a Subscription Premium Messaging Service (regardless of how that request is received, whether via an MO Message, any other advertised means or otherwise) a Content Supplier must in all cases, send a standard, dedicated SMS subscription request message ("Subscription Request Message") to the Customer's mobile phone number (with no Premium Fees charged to the Customer for the message)

Where is the double opt-in procedure?!

6.1.15 Disputed amounts: A Content Supplier must not demand payment of genuinely disputed amounts whilst the dispute is being investigated.

Don't pay the amount in dispute once a claim has been raised

After getting the dispute resolved, I raised a complaint with the TIO and left Optus anyway, the way they handled this and their accusatory response to my initial complaint was unacceptable, they had a chance to win my loyalty by showing theirs.

0 Kudos